Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Has anyone had Success using a Wen 14â Electric Chainsaw model

loger_gw
9 years ago

Has anyone had Success using a Wen 14â Electric Chainsaw model # 2400? I was given one (Like New) that I am challenging to do light work. So far this has not occurred. The main issue is keeping the chain on the sprocket. It has proven to have all the needed power.

I added Lexan plastic guides disc on both sides of the sprocket and had good test cuts thinking problem solved. During a later use the saw dropped into a heavier than usual cut and the bolt holding the sprocket backed out and cut through the plastic side cover. IMO, due to the steel flat washer with a flat inside the dia to match the motorâÂÂs power shaft being replaced. The full circle plastic guides on both sides of the sprocket on the power shaft were not locked and allowed the bolt to spin out.

Attached is the WenâÂÂs saw with the two plastic guides that allow the sprocketâÂÂs bolt to back out.

My question is what causes the chain to run off the sprocket?

Thanks for personal owners and others sharing.

Comments (3)

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I tested the chainsaw today and had a pleasant surprise, which I needed! I cut 10 logs without a problem.

I also removed a pull chain switch replaced at my Work BenchâÂÂs light this past summer. The pull cycle fills normal but it stopped turning my florescent light off during the recent cold. Can you recommend a switch I can plug-in 1st or wire-in a box to flip the light on/off vs another Pull Chain Switch?

I am cutting some 6-8â dia logs, over 16â long in half to stretch my wood. I have burned at least a cord of wood mainly due to cleaning up of small wood that was close (I packed in, causing 4-5, five gallons cans of ash). My goal now is to add short wood to beds of coals during the day in an unattended fire (opposite end of the house from my work area). Then add a good back stick at bedtime to hold some heat and coals.

My bodyâÂÂs pains are challenging me (left shoulder and neck). Degenerative mild soft tissues were recently mentioned on two discs in the neck (from a Brain MRI related to concussions or Cat Scan related to sinus Surgery). Physical Therapy sessions (6) did not help what the therapist is calling a pinched nerve in my neck. A Specific MRI of the neck is being scheduled. IâÂÂll ask if the results showing are causing some neck popping also. My pains have basically taken my enjoyments vs reducing them until I find some alternatives (other than major surgeries).

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The modifier 14â Wen Electric Chainsaw Earned A Home Yesterday And Today. It trimmed/cut logs 16â long 10- 6â dia from a Live Oak limb approx 16-18â long. Today all of the logs + New Red Oak (added yesterday) and Old (Red Oak added today) were cut into half-logs (due to weight issues, better burning but poor stacking.

Being itâÂÂs first major cutting the chain did stretch, plus a lack of bar oil due to no manual pumping (after no auto oiling was noticed of volume). Today there were very good chips âÂÂAgainâÂÂ, no chain stretching and good power/chips on old and new logs. A new extra chain came with the saw but no sprocket/laser tip bar.

The Old Logs are Red Oak âÂÂI Hopeâ since they are different than any I have seen with the darker outer ring. The bark, weight and deep int grain was Red Oak IMO. Please give your opinion on the old wood, is or is not Red Oak.

IâÂÂll split the old wood at least tomorrow (hopefully all) due to burning 24/7 when we had our real cold in North TX. This put a good dent into my seasoned wood. I âÂÂam notâ seeing good seasoning cracks in all the old wood and naturally not in the new wood. IâÂÂll adjust the splitter to the short wood and feel all will split. Otherwise, IâÂÂll wait a few weeks if the new needs time. The goal will be 1-1.5 hr from âÂÂa chairâ as cutting and Etc..

Thanks For Any Opinions!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess the chain running off the power sprocket is not a new problem to some saws. I noticed a Poulan Pro 262 or Etc had a steel oval washer (snap ringed on) to give the sprocket a spool effect (to keep the chain on and not contact the teeth as I did my Donated Wen). This is new to me to keep the chain on other than when you let the chain get too loose. What other problems could cause the chain to run off (as on the new Wen w/o a loose chain)?

Better bar oiling is my next challenge because it manually pumps good but sawdust in the bar is restricting the oil. Drilling a larger port hole in the bar is my next option (3/16th to 1/4th) larger should help oiling and reduce chain stretching. The saw has finally worked well cutting 8-12â logs/sticks into blocks (to stay in the bed of coals.).

Enjoy The Winter Rest!!!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz