Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fergus7

Stihl MS 290 spur vs rim sprocket

fergus7
17 years ago

Hi all my MS 290 has 8 tooth spur sprocket stamped .325 on it I got a rim drive one to replace that one and that has 7 teeth has .325 stamped on it now it fits the saw but I am wondering why they are different the chain is .325 and the bar is stamped .325.

regards

rod s

Comments (7)

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

Biggest advantage for the rim drive is the rim can be replaced when worn without replacing the entire clutch drum. It cost less to replace just the rim. For heavy users who wear them out on a regular basis, this is a plus.

You may not be all that happy with the 7 tooth when you had 8 before. Your chain speed will be slower, depends on what you're cutting and bar length used.

• barbedwire
    17 years ago

His chain speed will be slower but he`ll have more effective torque, something that he may appreciate with the 290.

• fergus7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey lots of folks run down the 290 but it was cheap my only knock on it is the weight I was used to a poulan pro 325 this was the poulan that was made in sweden it was pretty light and real good power but could not keep oilers in it they are spiral metal onto plastic cog and wore out pretty fast. The 290 has served me well cutting firewood and when it was new I knocked down a bunch of big oak it never had a problem with the size or hardness of the oak. I use a poulan 220 for limbing it also works good for light cutting and clearing.
    regards
    rod s

• barbedwire
    17 years ago

I`m not knocking your choice Rod, to each his own, besides what good would it do to criticize your saw choice after you already own it?

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

I think Rod was just suggesting the slower chain speed might work better for you. The 029/290 is really a pretty decent saw for the cost, just a little big and heavy for its power output.

I repair stuff, I don't use it but my thinking is this. The 325 chain has a smaller kerf, drag, then a full size 3/8 chain one might expect on a saw this physical size. I would think the 325 would perform better at the higher chain speed of the 8 tooth sproket. But this is where the rim system advantage comes into play. The replaceable rim sprokets are not expensive and you can buy one of them as well and do some experimenting.

• fergus7
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all

I am going to try cutting the same wood I was before some large poplars and see how the speed is affected by the 7 tooth rim. One reason that I switched was the bar was bent so I got a new bar and chain off ebay for 25.00 bucks delivered by airmail then I found a rim sprocket on there and got that so now all is new on the saw. Hopefully it will warm up a bit so I can cut some later in the week I will post the results. Can one tooth make that much difference to chain speed and torque. My owners manual only mentions 7 tooth sprockets but the saw came from the dealer brand new with the 8 tooth spur on it.
    regards
    rod s

• nevada_walrus
    17 years ago

Depending which way you want to figure it, it makes either a 1/7th or 1/8th difference. Speed will be slower with the 7 but you'll have more cutting torque. Equal condition chain, wood and your operation will determine if one or the other works better for you.