Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My FS 55 R Stihl Trimmer

Posted by gregstep (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 19:54

Hi i got a Fs 55 r Stihl trimmer. It will not start. Ok,,I took the spark plug out and put it in the plug boot and place it against metal. It showing fire. Ok,,,,when i hold the spark plug in my hand and pull the starter rope it shows fire,,,,but it dose not shark me. Very strange. I have clean the carburetor will good. I even shot carburetor chock cleaner in the carburetor and pull,,,,and it will not hit.,,,,,So what is happening??? What got me is why dont it shock me when i hold the spark plug in my hand. When i hold the plug in my hand and put my index finger on metal if shocks the het out of me. Any ideas,,,Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My FS 55 R Stihl Trimmer

It needs to go to a ground to spark, and when your finger touches the metal, then you become the ground and the current goes through you!

o

Thanks Manton. You might be right. I tell u why. The 2 wires coming from the coil do not have a cut on and cut off switch. its just 2 wires hanging. So 1 wire got to be the ground and the other wire got to be hot going back to the coil,,,, both wires goes back to the coil. 1 wire clips in to the coil,,,,,the other wire just screw to the coil with a bolt. So i guess the hot wire is the one that clip into the coil. Thanks again,,,,,greg

o

The one on the mounting bolt is where it goes to ground, that wire goes to the on/off switch, and the other wire at the switch goes back to the one on the coil. That is how you shut the trimmer off, you "ground" the coil..

o

Thanks Manton. I still had no luck. The one wire that goes back to the coil with the mounting bolt on it,,,,,i stuck a metal clip in it at the end of ground wire. Held the spark plug in my hand ,,,and it was firing in my hand ,,,,with out any shock. Do u think it could be the ground wire is bad??? or the coil. I even took the ground wire and mount it on the muffle bolt. Still the same thing. Thanks for help......any idea again,,,,,greg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here