Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstbassman

Good price for a used Stihl 036 Pro?

firstbassman
15 years ago

Hi,

Newbie here. Seems to be a lot of knowledgeable chainsaw users here.

I'm looking at a well-used Stihl 036 Pro w/ a 24" bar. He wants $350. Is this a good price?

I ran it through a few logs, and it seems to run well, but needs a new sprocket. Also drips oil. I took it to a local shop and they said all saws drip a little.

But, the chain is not getting oil, so it could be a simple fix or could be more involved oiler problem.

It also is missing a mounting bolt and a chain catch plate (or something like that). Also probably needs a tuneup.

I heat my house with wood, cut logs anywhere from 6"-24", once in a while bigger. Mixed fir, oak, maple, madrone. Haven't done any falling yet.

Is $350 a fair price, given the shape it's in? Thanks for any advice on this.

Comments (19)

• canguy
    15 years ago

The guy is dreaming. That is an older model that was replaced by the MS360 then the MS361.$100.00 tops.

• firstbassman
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, canguy.

One acquaintance I asked here in town said $300, $325 tops, if it was in very good shape. Looks like I should pass on this one. I don't have much to spend and I need a saw that just works, otherwise my family gets cold!

I'm thinking maybe a brand new 290 "Farm Boss," but it would be nice to have the capability to run a 24" bar if I needed to do that.

• canguy
    15 years ago

Step up to the MS390 if you want to run that bar.The MS361 is an even better workhorse but somewhat more money.

• masiman
    15 years ago

I'd go with canguys rec on the saw price (I'm not up on 036 prices). But you can probably check out ebay to see see prices for comparison although I would think they might run a little higher on there.

I think you are looking at a ~60cc saw for your needs. You could larger but it would be more weight. A 50cc saw might do ya, but it might not be quite big enough for what you need.

Another option if you are handy with maintaining a saw is a used Dolmar/Makita 6401 (65cc) from Home Depot. They typically are in decent shape and are ~$200. I have bought two this way, one for $225, the other for $185. Call nearby HD's with tool rental depts.

If you think you need a good price and local support, I'd check out that 390 or the equivalent Husky (again I don't know the Husky lineup that well). Some will even suggest an Echo, but I don't think their larger saws compare very well to Husky and Stihl.

• masiman
    15 years ago

If you are interested in a Makita 6401 I just saw these two for sale. They are a little pricey, i.e. he probably got them for

• ssewalk1
    7 years ago

To replace the saw would run you 700 to 800 dollars , If it has low hrs and exterior is in excellent cond you got a fair deal . Purchase premium grade synthetic oil at 50:1 to protect against efuel issues . Also run winter grade oil all season you will use a little more in the warmer weather but the thinner grade helps reduce oiler plugging .

• Rick Seekingwulf
    3 years ago

I bought an 0 36 Pro brand new back around 2003 and was going to be using it in my business then became disabled and it's still like brand new Barely Used maybe 10 hours and the year is 2021 I think I paid nearly $700 for it new

• Richard Ried
    3 years ago

Hey Rick, would you consider selling your 036?

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Rick has not been active recently , probably worth $350-$400 with the little use he says it has received !

• Rick Seekingwulf
    3 years ago

Hi Richard I will have to think about it, what's your offer. A neighbor of mine just used it last August to cut up a big branch that fell in his yard and he said it ran good.

• Richard Ried
    3 years ago

I'd do 500 comfortably

• ssewalk1
    3 years ago

SOLD !

• HU-397428563
    2 years ago

Good afternoon,

If anyone is interested i have 2 saws for sale.

Stihl ms440 magnum

Stihl 036

Both run great

Low hours no rebuilds no mods

Both come with new bars and chains.

I will include 60 day money back guarantee

Make offer

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Better you tell us what your bottom line is and where your shipping from . You probably will find more interest on the Arborist Site !

• ssewalk1
    2 years ago

$100 for the magnum !

• HU-522549797
    2 years ago

036 pro,I'd give you 350.

• Jamie St Pierre
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi i have a brand new Pro 036. no fuel or oil put in unit....could be for sale soon.

my email is aboveandbeyond@telus.net....i am in Canada

• HU-667837288
    last year

HavHave you solsold your 036