Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Is the attached a sign of Red Oak with a fungus, Etc and dangerou

loger_gw
9 years ago

Is the attached a sign of Red Oak with a fungus, Etc and dangerous to burn? IMO it's Red Oak but I have not seen it old and holding bark with the dark inside outer ring and no seasoning cracks. The logs "on the curb" had good weight and had been standing on the ground on one end. I could only roll (on a curb to truck board) 7 of 11 into my truck. Plus, I cut all in half and split in half or quarters to reduce the weight. There were no signs of insects. But Strange! This is the middle cut showing lighter wood. Which could bleed in from the bark?

Comments (6)

• TXSkeeter
    9 years ago

Nice chunks of wood but I question why you think it might be dangerous to burn. Once cut and set on fire, any fungus, virus, or almost any other issue will be destroyed by the intense heat that's generated.
    The discoloring may have been caused by something as simple as the tree dying and then drying out somewhat before it was cut down and stacked curbside for pickup by the local entity.
    Steve

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I feel as you do if it “ALL” goes up and out w/o any affects inside from an open fireplace vs a closed stove. I Just Had Surgery due to all blocked sinus. I feel I h/n respected Etc over the years related to my health. I will burn the wood to slow my excesses 24/7 burning of smaller wood.

I split some green Red Oak (at the same time) and saw a purple look on the splitter and felt the bark bled into the wood.

• andyma_gw
    9 years ago

The wood doesn't look like red oak to me. Bark is too smooth and the wood is too pale. Does it smell like urine when you split it? If not, it isn't red oak, AKA, p!$$ oak

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not noticed a smell splitting or burning. What is the nature of the wood you are mentioning? Will it burn?

Red Oak is still a challenge for me to decide it is seasoned enough to burn “independently”. My gauge on known green Red Oak is to season a year and see good seasoned cracks and feel a lighter wood. It still takes a good bed of coals to keep it going. This is causing me to mix Pecan with the Red Oak.

The recent Red Oak is still throwing me due to a loss of weight, soft center, no good seasoned cracks and the bark is still holding. Most of all, it is still standing when the good bed of coal and matching seasoned pecan has burned to ash. I’ll try to catch the past owner out to get some age history and cause of soft center. This is not a first challenge when I had leaves and owner’s verification of Red Oak.

I try to season my green wood a year and keep it separated but Red Oak vs other woods (oaks, ash, pecan and Etc) has been a challenge. Is this noted for Red Oak to be hard to burn or could it be a regional thing? I think Red Oak is popular firewood in East TX where they grow tall with little brush (competing with East TX Pine Trees).

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From a little quick research I feel I have discovered we have different varieties of Red Oaks in different regions.

Here in North TX I have never been able to smell a Red Oak while cutting, splitting or burning. I feel that is true in East TX also. I have 10X Smell Ability from recent Sinus Surgery.

The only wood we detected the urine smell from was Weeping Willow found in the bottom land close to water. Split small and plenty TX sun removed the moisture and smell. It was not a hard wood for quality burning but hot. I have passed on Willow and Hackberry since my mid 70s starting experiences. I will still take Elm but some w/n.

Two post on another site that helped me to realize we are talking about different Red Oak.

1. Ech! Wife won't allow it in the house
    I don't know how you guys can stand the smell of wet red oak. It smells to me alternately like either urine or vomit, sometimes both. That stuff STINKS!!!! There's more red oak around here than I could turn if I wanted, but I pass on it every time. Stinky!

Mistaken Identity
    Mike, you've apparently been involved with "piss-oak", a variety of black oak that not only has that smell when cut, but also when BURNED. I'll not forget the time my old man brought home some "free firewood" and loaded up the fireplace. Spent a cold night in January getting the stink out of the house!

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told that my mystery wood that I identified as Red Oak is possibly Arizona Ash (by a neighbor who burned some of it). The smooth thin trunk’s bark is different from other Ash in this area, w/o the outer interior stain from the bark and not as heavy (I have had plenty). Most of all, Ash Firewood burns good and that small stack should give me 2-3 weeks of back sticks (to hold as coal until the next morning).

Thanks! Please share any Pics that you know of that might verify the wood as Arizona Ash.