Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MTD Snowblower locks up

Posted by abchoppers (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 25, 11 at 20:58

Hi all, just got a 15 year old 24" MTD Snowblower with the Tecumseh Snow King HSSK50 engine. It runs great but will lock up at random times. When the motor locks it immediately shuts off and the pull start will not pull. After turning the crank with a wrench to loosen it, it will start and run again. I've removed the starter thinking that was the problem, but same thing. Any ideas?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MTD Snowblower locks up

assuming it has the proper amount of good oil in it, i'm guessing the cyl is scored badly and the engine may not finish out the winter for you.
mike

o

It would be interesting to know if it still did it w/out the belts installed. Any abnormal noises?

o

I tried it without belts, thought it could be binding on something with the thrower. Same.

It runs for random times. 1 min, 5 min, 30 minutes. It has good oil. Could it be something with the flywheel? Maybe the key is loose?

I plan on removing the head and looking for a scored cylinder. Do you think I could remove the cylinder and piston and have a machine shop bore it out and match a piston with it?

Thanks for the replies

o

Just found it, snapped connector rod for piston. Gotta choose whether to rebuild or buy another motor. Thanks for the replies.

o

You must of heard some form of piston slap or wrist pin rattle .. No ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here