Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ariens snow blower friction wheel

Posted by kt01 pa. (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 21:02

On the fourth I posted a question asking for the procedure on changing the friction wheel on my Ariens snowblower model 10M4. I did get a few replies with some suggestions,butI'm still having trouble. The wheel is attached to a hub that slides left and right on the hex shaft.I am assuming that you have to take that hub off of the shaft or at least slide the wheel over the shaft to get the wheel off. How do I get the shaft out of the bearings on either side. There is a nut on the end of the hex shaft but removing it still wont allow the shaft to move. Can some one tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I still need to do.

Thanks
Kirk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ariens snow blower friction wheel

Sometimes all you need to do is to unbolt the disc, remove one shaft retainer and drop the disc out. Does the carrier itself unbolt?

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 7:01

I don't remember which model it was, but I had to remove the bearing holder on one side and get the gear off the chain on the other side. It took awhile.

It's pretty much self-explanatory once you get started. You can see everything involved. I had some trouble getting the disc back into the sliding carrier. I would put some marks on the carrier to get it in the same position for reassembly.

o

Yeah as the previous forum members have indicated remove the pillow blocks or carriers from the chassis after you have removed the gear from the jack-shaft chain , friction wheel should slide of shaft I believe all wheels have 3 capscrews also . It sometimes requires an extra set of hands to re-assemble lol !

o

Thanks guys
The selector rod to the wheel slider mechinism can be unpinned, allowing the wheel to slide all the way to end of the shaft. I already took the chain off and got some of the other linkage stuff out of the way. I think your right removing the bearing caps to allow the shaft to slide should allow me to get the wheel off.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Kirk

o

Oh yeah , you have to 1st disconnect the shaft from the gear selector handle , we had confidence in your common sense
Kirk lol ! Let us know how it goes .

P.S. Did you get the assembly back in without any assistance (wife) never hurts to have an extra set of hands !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here