Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Best lubricant for snow blower?

jscozz
14 years ago

I just got a new snow blower. Craftsman 88830. I am looking for advice on the best lubricant for the chute... I have read other forums where people have used Pam, silicone spray, white lithium grease spray, WD40 spray, etc.

What has worked for you to keep the snow from sticking and lasted the longest without slopping up the unit?

Any other areas to spray or lube before each use?

Comments (10)

• andyma_gw
    14 years ago

Follow the manual instructions for engine oil. Check the oil level prior to each use.

• canguy
    14 years ago

Engine oil on the chute would be kinda messy. Heavy wet snow will stick no matter what you use, don't try to take too much on each pass, keep the engine speed up and if it clogs, shut the engine off and use a stick or similar tool to clear it. Never stick your hand in the chute.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

The most important change with chute design is the new plastics . You do not need any additional lube for the chute . As Canguy advised maintain the unit within common sense , apply a good wax prior to the 1st usage keep the unit clean in the off season and rewax or paint as req.d lubricate and change oil as operation manual suggests , I would go with a Multi Grade Synthetic and have a great day !

• jscozz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the feedback...

As for the wax... regular car wax, or more like a ski wax? Just in the chute or the auger housing interior also?

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Just the Auger Housing ! Normal Good Garde Car Wax is all that is req'd once or twice a season . As also advised by
    Canguy use the Blower according to his recommendation it will save a lot of grief.

• jscozz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!

As for engine oil... the manual says 5W-30 or 0W-30 synthetic... I plan to use synthetic after the first oil change at about 2 hours or fun time... if there any specific type of 0W-30 oil that is best? i.e. brand or other type (i.e. car, motor cycle, etc.)... I read somewhere that there are certain mixes that are better for small engines than car oil... any truth to that?

• jscozz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was supposed to say "of run time" not "or fun time"... although, I am anxiously awaiting the fun time of the first snow fall... got a few flurries today, but I think the neighbors will be concerned if run the blower with no accumulation on the ground! :)

• ewalk
    14 years ago

No any Brand Name 0W-30W Multi Grade Synthetic will suffice . You will notice really easy manual or elect. starting in the Colder weather and much better viscosity
    protection during warmer weather . Go with what you can get the best price on . Any of the leading Manufactuers are pretty well the same , marketing will determine your preference lol . Your idea of utilizing the Break in Oil for the Run in is a good idea !

• jscozz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That was supposed to say "of run time" not "or fun time"... although, I am anxiously awaiting the fun time of the first snow fall... got a few flurries today, but I think the neighbors will be concerned if run the blower with no accumulation on the ground! :)

• GreatMountainView_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I saw your question and thought this would help you. I came across a product that works wonderfully and can be used with many different applications. It is called Clean Deck Graphite. You should prepare all your snow removal equipment by using Clean Deck Graphite on the snow blower outlet chute and deflector, the scraper bar and on the shave plate and auger too. If you have a snow plow blade and a snow shovel, the product works great on them also to prevent the build-up of wet snow. For regular snow removal, you only have to apply Clean Deck Graphite once a year vs. the other non-stick options you spoke about which have to be applied every time you go out to remove any snow. Cleaning up after you are done is pretty easy too as the snow will not stick to your equipment if you coated everything properly and if there is any small residue left behind on the coated areas, you just lightly rinse it off with a water hose. I have really enjoyed using this product. They have a website, but I do not think it is allowed to be posted here in this forum. Just search for the name of the product and you should be able to find it. I hope this helps.