Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevyssrule

Toro traction drive

chevyssrule
13 years ago

Good evening,

I have a 1979 Toro 524 snow blower I put a B&S Intek snow 7.5hp engine on her about ten years ago. Last year since I could not get the wheels off & needed new tires I bought a used axle & had to cut the old one off. I put new wheels tires & chains on her.

My problem is if I adjust the friction disc according to the manual (all the way to the left) I have no first gear & very slow second my driveway is like a mountain. So I adjusted it over toward center more. Which now gives me 1st & second but no third I can see on the forward disc where third is somewhat on the rust (where the friction disc never was!) It also says in the manual where the friction disc should be equal between the forward & reverse disks but if I do this I have NO forward gears!. I bought a new friction disc thinking the rubber was worn but this did nothing. Another thing is when adjusted right I can move the friction wheel with my hand so I'm not sure if when running she is staying in place!. I did replace the belts. Since I have the friction wheel over it has stopped or slowed to a crawl only a few times on the driveway.

I guess to sum it all up does anyone know why I can not adjust her to specs?. Is there something broken or loose I should look for?. I have been playing around with this ever since the axle but I just can't figure her out? Any help would be GREAT!

Thank u for your time & help!

Will,

Comments (2)