Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbear2767

Synthetic 2 Cycle Oil ?

Pooh Bear
17 years ago

My new (factory recon) Poulan weed eater has a 2 cycle engine.

The manual says:

This engine is certified to operate on unleaded gasoline. Before operation, gasoline must be mixed with a good quality synthetic 2 cycle air cooled engine oil designed to be mixed at a ratio of 40:1. Poulan/Weed Eater brand synthetic oil is recommended.

Does this mean I should only use synthetic 2 cycle oil?

And another question while I'm here:

I mix only 1/2 gallon of fuel at a time.

I don't use enough 2 cycle fuel mix to bother making more.

I'm supposed to mix 3.2 ounces of oil per gallon.

It's gonna be hard to measure out 1.6 ounces of oil.

How close to I have to be. How much Stabil should be added.

My chainsaw uses a 50:1 mix.

Is there any sort of happy medium in there so

that I only need to keep one jug of fuel mix around.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

Comments (24)

• ralphgumby
    17 years ago

I use Craftsman synthetic 2 cycle oil. It says it already has stabilizer in it. I think it was about 50 cent more than the non-synth. I only use about 1 gallon of this premix per year (weed wacker and a small leaf blower), and the gas seems to "keep" well.
    I can't offer opinions on your different mix ratio situation.
    Ralph

• Pooh Bear
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For just a 50cent difference I will get the synthetic.
    Guess I'll be keeping two containers of fuel mix around.

I doubt I go thru a gallon of 2 cycle fuel mix a year.
    That mite change now with the weed eater.

Pooh Bear

• computeruser
    17 years ago

Run 'em both at 40:1, you will be fine. Full synthetic goes a long way to mitigating the carbon buildup problems that normally accompany extra dino oil. And the 50:1 saw won't mind the extra lube. Make sure that you're using good gas - 93 octane, minimal non-gasoline components - and storing your mix in a good, sealed container. It should keep pretty well that way. You can get smaller 1-gallon mix containers of 2-stroke oil, too, which might work for your purposes.

I run all of my 2-stroke equipment, including vintage saws, on 40:1 Mobil Racing MX2T synthetic. Everything is happy with that mix.\

• montesa_vr
    17 years ago

What Computeruser said. I go 32:1, regardless of manufacturer's recommendations. I think 50:1 is for the EPA, not your engine. Computeruser, where do you buy the MX2T? I haven't found a local store that carries it.

There can be advantages, warranty-wise, to using the manufacturer's recommended oil. One less thing to fight about if you are unfortunate enough to have a claim.

• hsur
    17 years ago

I agree with computer user on Mobil Racing 2T synthetic 2 cycle oil. Only addition is to use a fuel stabil product if you do not use the mixed fuel within 30 days.

Montesa vr We purchase Mobil Racing 2T at Advance Auto Stores. They usually keep a couple quarts on hand. The price IIRC was 6.99$/quart. Ask if they do not have it as one store was not stocking it until we requested it. Now they keep it on the shelf.

• jbopp14
    17 years ago

You can buy 2.6 oz bottles of 50:1 synthetic mix at Lowes (Husqvarna) or Home Depot (Echo). To get a 40:1 mix use 8/10 gallon of gas instead of 1 gallon. I think the Husky oil has a stabilizer in it already.

• Pooh Bear
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm just gonna keep two jugs of fuel mix.
    One for the chainsaw and one for the weed eater.

Too much oil may foul the plugs.
    Not enough oil won't properly lubricate the engine.
    So I'd rather stick with the manufacturer's recommendations.

Pooh Bear

• computeruser
    17 years ago

MX2T comes from AutoZone. Some of the local stores stock it, others don't, and others have it in the back if you ask. I buy a few quarts at a time and re-buy when I get down to a couple unopened quarts.

The 40:1 versus 50:1 versus 32:1 debate is an old one. The simple truth is that most anything will be adequately lubricated when run 50:1 with a good, modern oil. The manufacturer's recommendations are generally a good guideline for newer products, but that isn't to say that they're the *best* guideline to follow. This is only compounded if you run the equipment with the carb set from the factory, as they're almost always too lean to allow for a long and healthy life. Months-old 50:1 in a borderline lean saw with a heat-retentive choked-down muffler is an invitation for the machine to meet an early death.

40:1 MX2T is what I run for pretty much everything, and I have yet to have a problem. New saws, old saws, blowers, trimmers, hedge trimmers, they all eat it up happily. Pistons and cylinders look good after many gallons (yes, gallons per machine) of use, there is no appreciable carbon buildup on the mufflers (or inside), and plugs stay clean. Not sure what else to ask for, really.

And again, there is no good reason to keep two jugs of mix. With that system, the guy who only burns a few gallons per year is likely to find the mix separating or the gas going bad before the mix is used, both of which are far worse for the machine than running 40:1 in an EPA-mandated 50:1 machine. But to each their own, I suppose.

• Pooh Bear
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, one jug of fuel mix, 40:1.
    Anyway, my biggest problem is measuring 3.2 ounces of oil.
    It says 3.2 ounces (95mL). I found a 100mL bottle.
    Can I just mix 100mL of oil per half gallon of gas.

I mixed a 1/2 gallon for my chainsaw on Jan 2.
    I still have most of it. I did use Stabil.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

• montesa_vr
    17 years ago

I think it would be almost impossible to foul a plug today by using too much synthetic oil. In the 60's and 70's we used to run 2-stroke motorcycles on a 16:1 mix. That was with all kinds of castor and mineral oil that didn't burn anywhere near as clean as today's synthetics, and sparked by ignition systems that were extremely primitive and low voltage compared to the solid state systems on modern equipment.

I've never had a problem with carbon buildup or plug fouling running 32:1. Which is not to say everybody should do it; my point is the exact mixture isn't that critical as long as you err to the richer side.

• Pooh Bear
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The richer side? (more oil or more gas?)
    Ok, tell me, how many ounces per gallon.
    In the past (long past) I always used 4 ounces per gallon.
    This seemed to work in anything, was easy to remember and mix.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

• cranheim
    17 years ago

I have been using ECHO oil in my ECHO ans STIHL equipment with a 50:1 Mix. The ECHO 2-cycle oil is a synthetic bend, not full synthetic, but is recognized as a very good oil. STIHL is supposed to have a new fully synthetic oil. This is what they recommend in their power equipment with the 4 Mix engine to reduce carbon deposits. I may switch to this for both my ECHO and STIHL equipment, because one of my newer STIHL trimmers has the 4 Mix engine. Charles Ranheim

• cranheim
    17 years ago

I have been using ECHO oil in my ECHO ans STIHL equipment with a 50:1 Mix. The ECHO 2-cycle oil is a synthetic bend, not full synthetic, but is recognized as a very good oil. STIHL is supposed to have a new fully synthetic oil. This is what they recommend in their power equipment with the 4 Mix engine to reduce carbon deposits. I may switch to this for both my ECHO and STIHL equipment, because one of my newer STIHL trimmers has the 4 Mix engine. Charles Ranheim

• montesa_vr
    17 years ago

Pooh bear, there are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon, so 4 ounces of oil is 32:1. If that's easy for you to remember I'd keep doing it.

I use the little oil bottles that mix with one gallon of gas, but I mix them with .7 gallons instead of 1.0. That gets me to 32:1.

You have a good question about richer. By richer, I meant more oil, but from your carburetor's perspective, more oil is actually leaner. Sorry about the confusion.

• green_valley
    17 years ago

Using synthetic for mix just does nto make a lot of sense to me. I may be missing something here but synthetics have an extra atom on the molecule that keeps an oxygen atom from being able to attach during high heat causing oxyidation and slugde. What does synthetic accpmplish if it burnt during firing on a 2 stroke?

• cranheim
    17 years ago

Green Valley,
    I have to admit this is the first time I have ever heard synthetic 2-cycle oil causing an oxyidation or sludge problem. That goes against everying I have heard about the benefits of using synthetic oil mix. I have used the ECHO synthetic blend without any problems for many years. I may switch to the STIHL full synthetic oil mix because it is recommended in their 4 Mix engines. In their testing, it was found to burn cleaner, leaving less carbon deposits in the engine, therefore requireing less maintenance. I am not so sure your "atom" theory is valid. Perhaps others have heard about this. Charles Ranheim

• johndeere
    17 years ago

My wife uses the new and improved Synthetic cooking oil in all my food.Especially Chili and Backed beans.She goes with a 50:1 ratio.She swears by it.Saids it makes me use less gas.I know it keeps my exaust port working well and in the end it help me get rid of the sludge.My wife saids she has noticed less oxidation also.

• green_valley
    17 years ago

Cranhiem please reread my post. Synthetic is sngineered to not cause sludge. That is why I do not understand the benefits in a 2 stroke mix where the oil in burnt.
    jets use synthetic and never change the oil just add. In piston engines the benefit is no sludge due to qxygen not being able to adhere to the molecule. When you burn it is is gone so I just don't understand any benefit in a 2 cycle.

• cranheim
    17 years ago

Green Valley
    STIHL has three "Grades" of synthetic the last time I looked. They are conventional, synthetic blend, and full synthetic. They recommended the synthetic blend for cleaner burning with less carbon deposits. Then, because the 4 mix engines were still having some carbon build-up that required additional maintenance, they came out with the full synthetic 2 cycle oil they called "Ultra" which they tested and found reduced carbon deposits. If all this is true, I think it is a good reason to use synthetic oil mix over conventional oil. But, that's just my opinion. Sorry I misunderstood your first post. I must have had a "senior moment". Thanks for your response. Charles Ranheim

• biglumber
    17 years ago

I like amsoil synthetic. Been using it in my 2 strokes for 15 years since I was turned on to it at our repair shop. We did a lot of repair on concrete saws and did not see any jug issues when our customers used it. As soon as they put something else in the mix, that was when they would bring their saws in.
    I like it because there isn't any smoke in the exhaust.
    Works good plus it stabilizes the fuel in case you carry your fuel over to the next year.

JohnDeere.. Good to hear your "port" isn't experiencing issues.

Peace

• dfb1
    10 years ago

is poulan weedeater 2 stroke engine oil iso/cd 13738 and J.A.S.O FD compliant?

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Poulan Mineral and Synthetic 2-stroke oils are both compliant witihin their respective recommended uses. I personally use Amsoil Full synthetic Ultra at 50:1 on all my units even though 100:1 is the recommended Manf . Ratio for many new air and liquid cooled engines of today ..

• dave_0201
    10 years ago

100 to 1 Amsoil syn. in all our commercial Stihls...Runs clean w/ zero problems

This post was edited by dave_0201 on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 21:08

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Well there you go Dave a tried and proven evaluation ! Personally I have never ran any of my 2-strokes at that lean of mixture . I tested an old gas trimmer at 70 :1 with better engine performance and no issue for a yr at hunt camp. I also recommend Echo and stihl syn oils if Amsoil Sabre is not readily available.