Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sealing concrete drive

Posted by waterbird n.w.fla 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 06 at 6:19

Hi,not sure if this is correct forum for this but......
I had a new driveway and 14x20 patio poured about 3 month's
ago,should I seal these and if so,what to use?I have 2 gallon's of thompsons sealer that I had left over from my
privacy fence...it has a picture of a concrete block along
w/ wood fence...will it work ok or should I not seal it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sealing concrete drive

I would seal it;in the long run,it will keep the concrete cleaner,and make it last longer...especially if you live in the freeze zone......No matter what you use,it won't last forever,you'll probably have to do it once a year,to maintain it..............so, do your research and get something good.......

o

I would get a concrete hardner. Only needs to be applied once. It will increase the PSI strenght of the concrete chemically and work as a sealer in it's own right. Many of these products around. Most paint shops like Sherwin Williams or Porter Paints carries a concrete harner of some tyoe. Worth checking into anyway.

o

I wouldn't bother, it's only a driveway and a patio. Plus, you live in Florida so freezing isn't a concern.

You'll still get oil stains, cracks and blemishes.

o

I'm in central Fl and the mildew is terriable on our driveway, the sprinklers and rain. So coating them is well worth the cost if you want to keep the fresh look of concrete..I would let it cure out good, not sure how long that takes 6 months?

o

Seal it. But, don't use the Thompson's stuff... it's not even worth using on wood, but especially not on concrete no matter what the picture implies.

Go to a concrete supply house and get the right kind of sealer... there are all different ones that have different solids content. Talk to the counter help and tell them your application. They will sell you what you need.

o

Seal it, don't use the Thompsons though.
I am in PA with worse conditions, I use the UGL waterbased concrete driveway and patio sealer. Goes on with a bug sprayer. leaves a really nice sheen. powerwash first then seal easy clean up. Remember it is only a driveway and a patio that can be easily kept looking good, but it costs alot to replace.

o

You should use a siloxane sealer because it is repels water, de-icing salts and is breathable.

See what Tim Carter, a nationally syndicated columnist has to say about them

http://www.askthebuilder.com/008_Deicing_Salts_And_Concrete.shtml

And here is our product too,

http://appliedtechnologies.com/pages/content/concrete_sealer.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Concrete sealer

o

Do not use Duckback Products DB-6510-4 Clear Satin Concentrate Sealer, we tried to seal our driveway with it, it did absolutely nothing to seal it. After a year it looks horrible, and we have to start over in sealing it, this time hopefully with a different product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here