Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowblower Choke-Knob Position ?

Posted by robert11 usda 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 7:56

Hello:

I have a new Ariens snowblower; has a Tecum. engine and is the "Compact" series. Starts fine in the full-choke,
(max cw) to the right position.

Works fine, as long as the Choke Knob is in the middle position. (seems like there are 3 detents for it)

I realize it should be all the way over to the left for normal running, max ccw, which is apparently the no-choke or full open position.

But, if I do put it all the way to that position, it dies.

Very happy, though, in the middle position.

Any thoughts on ?

Safe to run that way ?

Thanks,
Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowblower Choke-Knob Position ?

Running only with the choke in the center position indicates the mixture is too lean (too much air and not enough fuel). I would suggest calling the dealer and arranging to return the unit for proper setup.

Did you purchase from a full service dealer or HD? If you did not purchase from a full service dealer, you can check if the carburator is snugly attached and also if the fuel shut off is turned all the way to ON, also if there is a kink in the fuel line. Other causes include dirty fuel or a misadusted fuel float in the carburator. Weak ignition will sometimes act like this as well.

o
RE: Snowblower Choke-Knob Position ?

The most likely problem is dirt or some other kind of obstruction in the carb.

I wouldn't run it that way for long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here