Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Measuring Compression

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 8:19

I have an older JD Lawn tractor LT-155. I would like to get a measure of the remaining engine life and would like to check the compression on the cylinder.

What is the best way to do this?

Tips and recomendations?

PS Since I used to do my own service on my cars I have a compression gauge.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Measuring Compression

• Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 13:55

If it has a compression release you'll have to rig a socket on a cordless drill using the flywheel nut to rotate it backward to get a true comp. test. Do one test then squirt approx. a tablespoon of engine oil in the cyl and do another test. A large increase in pressure indicates the rings are worn. How much life is left is a WAG depending on care and maintenance.
Mike

o

Do you know what the compression should be on the JD LT-155 with the 15.5 Kohler engine. The tractor was purchased new in Aug 2000

o

I think you are trying to perform an exercise in futility-
The manf's don't even give compression specs, but tell you to do a leak down test.
Even then, they don't tell you how much air should be leaking past at a specified pressure. It just basically determines where it is leaking.
Even if you know what the factory compression is, what rate does it decrease? What's good or not?
Also, when the engine is running, it won't leak as much as a relatively slow cranking engine.
If it isn't burning oil...........

o

OK I don't think it is burning oil, so I guess I should not worry about it.

I just found a coupon for 15% of the JD service kit for the LT-155, so I guess it is time to do the spring service. At $34 dollars for the kit I can not beat that price at the big box stores for the same price.

o

I would do compression check just to know a base line. Probably won't be much over 100 with compression release. I would think 80 or above would be good... I have 24 year old 14 hp Briggs vanguard that has 160 in each cylinder. It has held that for the 16 years that I have owned it. Also have Replacement 17 hp Kolher on my LX266 that's 100 with less than 60 hours on it. I did when it was new to know Base line.

As you said wouldn't worry about it if it runs good and don't puff blue smoke.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here