Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowblower - auger problems

Posted by grassy Z6 PA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 8:53

I have a Craftsman 8.5 HP 26-inch 2-stage snowblower (536.886191 - built by Murray). It's about 10 yrs old.

I had a problem where the impeller got jammed up with ice a few weeks ago. I smelled something strange, so I opened up the cover over the belts and found that the auger belt was frayed.

I replaced the auger belt, and used the blower on the next snow and after using it for about 1.5 hrs, the new auger belt snapped.

I put another one on and adjusted the auger pulley wheel to insure the belt is not tensed when not engaged. Then I took a closer look inside while it was running.

I think the problem is that the auger (and impeller) is turning even when I do not have the auger lever engaged.

It looks like there is some sort of "brake" or guide that presses against the bottom wheel/belt when the lever is not engaged, but I guess it's not "braking" and as the belt turns even when not engaged. It rubs against the belt and gets really hot - to the point that you see smoke. Eventually the belt fails due to this.

I can't figure out what is failing to stop the auger/impeller from turning when the lever is not engaged.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowblower - auger problems

You might try a few drops of engine oil on the bearing shaft of that pulley! Don't get any on the belt, if possible, and don't put on too much. Try spinning it by hand. (Engine not running!) Disengage the belt tightness, to do that. Those pulleys get no attention, and finally stick.

o
RE: Snowblower - auger problems

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 14:53

Have you checked the adjustment to make sure that you don't have too much tension on the belt when engaged? You want to put full tension on the belt when fully engaged with just a little bit more to spare, but not much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here