Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grassy_gw

Snowblower - auger problems

grassy
13 years ago

I have a Craftsman 8.5 HP 26-inch 2-stage snowblower (536.886191 - built by Murray). It's about 10 yrs old.

I had a problem where the impeller got jammed up with ice a few weeks ago. I smelled something strange, so I opened up the cover over the belts and found that the auger belt was frayed.

I replaced the auger belt, and used the blower on the next snow and after using it for about 1.5 hrs, the new auger belt snapped.

I put another one on and adjusted the auger pulley wheel to insure the belt is not tensed when not engaged. Then I took a closer look inside while it was running.

I think the problem is that the auger (and impeller) is turning even when I do not have the auger lever engaged.

It looks like there is some sort of "brake" or guide that presses against the bottom wheel/belt when the lever is not engaged, but I guess it's not "braking" and as the belt turns even when not engaged. It rubs against the belt and gets really hot - to the point that you see smoke. Eventually the belt fails due to this.

I can't figure out what is failing to stop the auger/impeller from turning when the lever is not engaged.

Any ideas?

Comments (2)