Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need small hand saw for pruning

Posted by kimpa z6b PA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 9:28

How do you cut in tight spots? I will gouge into near branches if I use my regular hand saw. I think I have seen a length of chain that I could hold one side in each hand and pull back and forth to hand cut branches but my searches don't find any. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need small hand saw for pruning

Look at rope saws at the 1st link below. They can be a bit challenging at good heights to get the rope/chain over the limbs. Two individuals at distances apart vs one will get less binding/pinching on the chain. They Work But Are Work To Use At A Distance UP. Pole saws are better for close limbs, IMO (2nd link). OR pruning hand saws, search Home Depot Etc.. loger

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=rope+saw&Nty=1&D=rope+saw&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?keyword=manual+pole+saw&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

o

Thank you. Yes, that is what I was thinking of. I don't need it for high places. I want a tool that will allow me to cut in tight places. Like for cutting out select branches on a multi-trunked shrub. My hand pruning saw hits the branches I want. I thought I rope saw could prevent other damage. Will look into it. I really need a fine rope saw but it may be too delicate and break.

o

I agree the rope saw will not do well on small dia cuts. The Lopping sheers might be your best option (search at Home Depot Etc). It is also hard to visualize a hand pruning saw with the small pointed end that cuts very fine w/n work. Please add a link to your saw or similar. loger

o

I have never used a rope saw and know nothing about them, but I have pretty good luck with my lopping shears and my recip saws. The recip is so handy because there is so many different blades you can use in them to cut wood, plastic or metal. Larry

o

The rope saw is a section of chainsaw chain in between two ropes. It is a coarse cutting chain design for cutting limbs high up while you are on the ground. loger

o

You need a hand saw with Greek set teeth used nowadays on Japanese saws. This means that you cut on the draw rather than the push, fine quality saws are narrow at the end and once you get the first cut in you are good to go.

o

This is what you need for really fine cuts in tight spaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: spiral wire saw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here