Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ariens Rototiller

Posted by caseyj (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 10:24

I have an older rototiller that I purchased new in 1974 that has gone through the 1st engine (7hp) and now I have installed a second engine that is 8hp.

An ongoing problem that I have had with it is that it tends to back fire the more I work it. This is true with both engines. Now, I'm thinking that maybe I have a problem in the gear drive that has always been there.

When I turn the tines manually, they seem to have some resistance on them but this hard to tell because of heavy gears they are. In order to get to these gears, there is a large cap that has a fitting in it about 2 inches long. Looks like a screw driver slot. What type of tool do you use to open this up and pull out the drive shaft to check the bearings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ariens Rototiller

That type of cap on the gearbox is usually for adjusting the preload on the worm of a worm gear drive.

However, most worm drives will not allow the sector gear (tines shaft) to rotate the worm (input shaft), so I'm not sure what you have.

As for backfiring, need to know model and spec number of engine. If it is a Briggs, and older than 1983, you should check condenser (moot issue if electronic ignition) and on any Briggs I'd check valve operation and clearances.

o

Thank you for your response. The back firing has been an issue with both engines. That's why I am suspious of the worm gears. I can't tell how much drag there should be on the tines when there is no power applied. I am thinking that maybe there is a bearing that is worn or broke that puts too much stress on the engine thus making it run hotter than normal and back firing. When the tiller is under load, it settles down, however, I don't see much action on the governor in either case? The carb linkage on the new engine is a straight pull to the carb with no spring attached. Maybe I've answered my own question?

o

Ariens M 901012 Need High Gear for Transmission #001208 No longer available from Ariens Can anyone help me Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here