Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craigj3534

Snowblower repair question/thx for any help

craigj3534
18 years ago

I've got a Noma two stage snowblower and, when plowing last week, it just stopped throwing the snow out of the discharge chute. All the drive belts are good, it starts, runs and moves fine, the auger blades rotate fine, but the impeller doesn't move. The impeller is on a shaft that goes to a T-shaped gearbox that the auger shaft is also connected to. When the machine is off, the auger blades don't rotate freely (of course not, due to the breakaway bolts connecting them to their driveshafts) However, the impeller rotates freely on its drive shaft. This doesn't seem right - shouldn't the impeller turn only when the drive shaft turns?

Is there some kind of "key" or breakaway bolt that holds the impeller onto the drive shaft? Or could something - a gear? - have slipped in the T-shaped gearbox/transmission?

Thanks!!!!!!

Comments (93)

• bogey123
    13 years ago

The rope broke on my blower a few weeks ago. I removed the starter, about 4 screws to loosen the starter and then had to remove bolts so I could get the starter past the tranny control. Took the starter to my local small engine guy, a few bucks later, reversed the process and is good as new.

I imagine if this is something I had done before it would have saved me $10 or so, but I don't keep that type of cord around and it was faster to have the pro deal with it.

I know others will tell me I wasted a few bucks, but this was the fastest / easiest way of dealing with this problem for me and sure beat loading the entire blower down to the shop.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Rob: Remove the Recoil from the Engine 3-5 cap screws normally . Remove the remains of recoil rope from the Spool Hub by cutting the end knot. Next remove spring cir-clip retainer (be careful) wear Safety Glass's since the spring is under tension. Let the spring uncoil carefully , but keep it with in the hub assembly , some people use a small tie wrap or snaring wire . Recoil the new rope and retention the coil spring in the opposite direction . There should be considerable tension to recoil the rope back into the unit . Some times you may have to do it twice if you are a 1st timer . Replace the recoil circlip and cut of the tie wrap if used . Secure the Rope handle once it is properly routed through the recoil housing with a tight knot , some people actually melt the nylon rope tag end to ensure it does not loosen (both ends) . Try the recoil action , as advised there should be good return force with the recoil off the engine since there is frictional drag once the recoil is attached to the flywheel . Hope this is of help it is rather difficult to explain online . If you are not sure or reluctant , follow Bogeys advice by all means . You will probably only have to replace a rope once or posssibly twice in the Blowers life time , so a few bucks at the repair shop is not a bad investment . On the other hand once you have done this sort of r&r you will be capable to do the same on chainsws , lawnmowers , gas trimmers , snowmobiles .. etc. All the Best Dude :)

• tomkorpas_gmail_com
    13 years ago

How do you replace a track on a craftsman snowblower model #247885690

• dennisc_chagrinvalleywellness_com
    13 years ago

i was blowing snow and my neighbor had a newspaper covered up by all of the snow. it got stuck in my augers but did not make it up the shoot. now my augers will not engage. is there a safety or something that might just need to reset. Is it broken and i have to take it in for repair?

• chrism2378_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have a Yard Machines 5.5 hp 22" snowblower. It is a chore to start sometimes, but I can handle that. I let it warm up. The drive works fine. The auger works fine...till you put it under load and the machine stalls. After it stalls it becomes harder to get started again. It has new gas and I've checked the spark plug. What am I missing, and how do I fix it?

Thanks

• DEVONMCG_MSN_COM
    13 years ago

WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE PART THAT HAS THE PULL CORD? I NEED TO REPLACE JUST THAT PART ALONE. MY CORD BROKE DURING A PULL.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Devon: Your speaking of the recoil housing unit . Why do you need to replace the unit or spring if only the rope needs replacment ?

• jantony03_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Just purchased a new 24" Snow Blower from Sears, model # 247.889571 and cannot start it because the recoil starter is locked and the electraic start wont turn the engine

• d_dev52_comcast_net
    13 years ago

I have a Craftsman snow thrower 10.5 horsepower 30
    two stage model 917.881052
    The shear bolts keep breaking. It seems to run fine otherwise.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

"Just purchased a new 24" Snow Blower from Sears, model # 247.889571 and cannot start it because the recoil starter is locked and the electraic start wont turn the engine" What did Sears say? Oil level good hopefully.

"The shear bolts keep breaking." Are the holes in the augar getting hogged out? Both sides do it?

• JJerry1_aol_com
    13 years ago

My Snow Blower will not start...

I'd changed the Spark Plug, cleaned the carb and used starting fluid.

It is not firing.....What can cause it not to fire?

• jnordquist124_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Snowblower was running fine. came up onto patch of heavy packed snow. Blower seemed to struggle. made a 3 second squeal and then a thunk and shut off. augers and impeller still turn fine. Pull rope is stuck and will now pull out. comes out 4 inches and then won't come out any more??????

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Jerry : Bad Plug , Bad Plug Wire ,Bad Coil , Defective Ignition Module or combination of all the above ! Start with the least expensive .

• Joe_compassbldg_com
    13 years ago

Craftsman 24" 5.5 hp self propel not working. Changed the belts and sometimes it will go and mostly not is there any trans fluid? There is nothing in the Manuel other than change or tighten the belt. HELP more snows coming.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Check drive sprocket hub shear pin (bolt) quitr often these will shear and not look broken .

• lbpod
    13 years ago

My dang snowblower broke and I toll my old lady
    to shovel the driveway and she wont do it. I told
    her a hunert times, but it dont hep. Finaly I
    got so mad I hid her cane and now she wont talk
    to me(but thats a good thang). I gots to git the drivway clear so I can go git more bear. What should I do?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Ibpod: Take a Tylenol , call the National Guard for Beer Air Drop and Enjoy the NHL All Star game since the Ole Lady is keeping Quiet lol :)

• foreman94_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I had to replace the brass worm gear in my Yard Machine 644E snow blower and I need to put new gear lube in any suggestions besides the SHELL ALVANIA EP GREASE

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Dependant on your seasonal temps anything from Hypoid Gear (Tractor) Oil to Automatic (Dextron) Transmission fluid to Shell marine Grade Bottom End Sae 90 or Moly Grease when the seals leak on older units .

• jg629_aol_com
    13 years ago

The track came off my snowblower its an MTD 8/26 How do I get it back on?

• TAC1971
    13 years ago

I have a Arien's ST824 snow blower. I have use it for 3Years with ho problems, not even replacing the shear pins once. My dad had it for about 5-6 yrs before me and no problems except for a few shear pins. The last storm we had i noticed paper coming out the shoot and stopped it. Somehow a plastic bag got caught in there around the shaft. I took it out and about the same time was working with very wet snow and large chucks of Ice mixed in. It runs, moves forward and backwards, the Auger moves, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Yet when I enter the snow it stops (I think, I can't drive and see if it's working too...lol)pushing the snow up the shoot? I think the auger in't turning anymore? I can move the auger somewhat by hand when it's off but when I took out the shear pins, they were not broken? Any help on where to start next?. I am broke, have a bad back, and can't shovel snow without submitting myself to great pain. Thanks for any help you can give me :)

• blackirish47_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I was using my blower in yesterdays storm when I thought that I had snapped the shear pins on the intake or auger blades. I was blowing snow w/ ice from the last 2ft of snow we got!

After inspection it appears that the 'Impeller' or heavy gauge steel blade (inside the housing of machine: Stage 2 blade) has broken away from what ever it was mounted to keeping it in position to rotate. When the blades are engaged the impeller jumps up and down the impeller shaft (back to front/front to back) causing interference w/ the blade housing and the auger blades themselves.... The only thing that I can tell, is that the impeller blade is loose and moves freely along the 'Y' axis of the impeller shaft...The auger blades are moving fine, the impeller shaft appears to be rotating freely the blade itself is out of position and not securely mounted....

Are there shear pins that hold the impeller blade in place? It seems that this blade/impeller should not be able to move in the 'Y' axis on the impeller shaft.

Sears Model #: 536 887990
    Information: 12yr old Craftsman 9hp (Briggs and Stratton) 29" cutting path. Mecahnically the machine is in great shape. Recently had a stage 2 tune up.

• LITCHFIELD
    13 years ago

Hey Toe Blake,
    Go to this thread in the Tool Shed Forum I was there yesterday with exactly the same problem, which is now solved relatively simply and very inexpensively.

Snow Thrower impeller
    Posted by: fjs001 on Tue, Dec 23, 08 at 9:34
    12 follow-ups, last one posted on Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 10:26

• jmelaragni_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I have a Toro 521 snowthrower model 38052. I've had the unit for 17 years without a problem. A week ago right after a heavy snow storm the wheels wouldn't drive. Everything else appears ok. I remove the bottom panel and found the "traction engagement assy" broken. By broken I mean when I depress the the traction drive lever the assembly that connects the rubber wheel to the friction wheel just doesn't turn. Looks like a broken weld joint. I have ordered a new traction assembly. I don't have any instructions on how to replace this part. I would appreciate any help that would be forthcoming. Thanks...

• fmira_snet_net
    13 years ago

I have a three year old craftsman 247-88999. Yesterday self propel stopped working and wheels would not turn unless steering levers were engaged. If I engage the drive lever and the right steering lever the right wheel turns super fast(had to run behind machine), normally the wheel would be disengaged in this position. I disassembled the drive assembly and found a broken needle bearing in the right planetary gear that was binding the planetary assembly to the drive shaft, thought great this will be an inexpesive fix. Wrong, you can't buy the $15 bearing or the outer planetary gear separate from the drive assembly, $219 from sears parts. I am continuing to check other sources for the bearing. If anyone knows of a bearing that will fit this application please let me know.

• hippertt_worc_k12_ma_us
    13 years ago

I have a 10 HP Noma snowblower. The auger continues to spin even when the lever is not compressed. Any ideas? Also, as the snow enters the auger, only a very little bit of the snow shoots out while the rest piles up in front.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Dear Snowed In In Ct, I can't remember the last time
    I had a bad bearing that didn't have a number on it
    somewhere, (you might have to use some optical magnification). There are quite a few bearing suppliers on the internet, just do a search and see if they have
    a cross-reference chart on their site. If you can't find
    any numbers on the bearing, you should take some accurate
    measurements with a micrometer and contact the suppliers
    with those numbers, (measure it every which-away).

• grassy
    13 years ago

Tim, I have a similar problem with my Craftsman (made by Murray/Noma).

Check the tension on the auger idler pulley - when the handle is not engaged, it should be off the auger belt.

That doesn't seem to be my problem, but it is one problem that can cause it.

• mintzlefty_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Bought a Bobcat snowthrower. Only number I see on the machine is on the engine. 18248267. Any help on the year made would be appreciated. thanks

• galehut_att_net
    13 years ago

I have a 22 inch sears craftsman snowblower. The cord was stuck last night. This morning I was able to pull it but while plowing, it started smoking and shut off. Now I can't pull the cord again. Is there anything I can do myself to fix it? Thankyou so much.

• fmira_snet_net
    13 years ago

ibpod, the bearing had numbers on it but they were of no use. I brought the bearing down to a bearing distrubutor I used to work with when I was in the auto business, they measured it up and found a part number. Their warehouse in Cleveland has them and they should be in this morning(monday, Feb 7, 2011), $5 each. I really think it's rediculous that MTD/Craftsman will not sell these bearings separatelly and make people pay $250 for the repair part. I will follow up with part numbers for the bearings if they fit properly.

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Snowed In, I had a similar problem with a lower motor bearing in a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum people, (Rainbow),
    wanted almost $30 for it. I found it at a local electric
    motor repair shop for less than $4. I don't know if there
    are any bearing manufacturers left in the U.S. anymore.
    All of those I've seen in the last few years all come from
    off shore. Nice find, and I hope it works out for you.

• fmira_snet_net
    13 years ago

Ibpod, Thanks. The bearing is a Koyo Torrington B-98 made in the USA. Replaced the bad right side ring gear bearing and the left side ring gear bearing that had not burned out, yet. Reinstalled the planetary gear sets and the drive assembly and it runs perfectly. Both bearings with tax came out to a grand total of $10.12. I hope if someone else has this issue they come across these posts and save themselves $240.

• jbhart003_aol_com
    13 years ago

My Craftsman Model 536881800 auger shaft has jumped out of the guide numerous times. I thought the worm gear might be worn but it was perfectly fine compared to a new one. Not sure what is going on with the unit would appreciate any help!

• tomplum
    13 years ago

****THIS THREAD SHOULD GO AWAY****
    *****THIS THREAD SHOULD GO AWAY****

Notice how a bunch of pleas for help go unanswered? It is easy to post your own topic. Click the "post a message" button just below the banner. You can then choose to have responses emailed to you if you wish. The help you receive should be much more timely.

• tomplum
    13 years ago

It is old enough to go to school on its own!

• jskcid_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have an old Craftsman 8/26 track driven snowblower. I have the manual, and was looking up some part numbers to fix the slipping when I put it in forward or reverse. When I went to Sears to get the parts and they told me the part numbers were no good. I asked if they could cross reference the part numbers and they said they couldn't. Not sure if it was just because they were being ignorant or if they really couldn't. If anyone knows how to cross reference an old part number so I can fix my snowblower it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• grand39_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

have a yardmachine 22" 2 stage , press lever to move blower and nothin happens , everthing else works fine, any suggetions?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Check your shear pin on the chain drive axle or the Friction Disc . Bottom Inspection cover shall have to be removed for proper inspection .

• lbpod
    13 years ago

Nice try Tom.

• putter2_nbnet_nb_ca
    13 years ago

My two stage canadian tire 10hp 30 inch cut snowblower keeps throwing and breaking belts on the double belt drive auger impeller. any thoughts.it seems to be chewing them. checked the pulleys they seem ok.

• brimms87_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I have a honda blower, it starts fine but she revs up higher than usuall and when she gets into a bit of snow she dies out more than usuall, and ideas?

• ewalk
    13 years ago

THIS THREAD COULDN'T DIE A SLOWER DEATH WITHOUT LIFE SUPPORT !

• buzsmy_tbaytel_net
    12 years ago

I have a craftsman C944-52950 sni blower.
    The auger drive belt, slips, I think that it may have streatched.
    I tried to remove it for replacement, can you give me a hint as to how to remove it. The front has a sold drive shaft and the back has a spring assembly for the idler that goes up to the pulley.
    Thanks buzz

• Shawn4545
    12 years ago

the shear bolts are broken, maybe it is rusted and stuck in the hole. tap the old one out install new ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobile Shawn's Small Engine Repair and Service

• robert111
    12 years ago

why would a track drive snowblower move forward without applying the throttle

• smithwatson
    10 years ago

Get help from the HVAC professionals. They might help you. Prefer small business company which also gives a guidance with repairing of the appliances with affordable price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Conditioning Service & Repair Aurora co

• colkettpainting
    10 years ago

I have the noma model #2454550 which has been great but I need to replace the worm gears. The dealer said they were made of brass and it would be easier to change out the whole gear box except they don't seem to sell them! The question I have is, can someone tell me how to get the auger assembly removed? Maybe the two pins by the second auger need to be removed which I don't see how I can! Any help would be greatly appreciated. They say that until you fix a thing , you are merely renting it! Haha
    X

• John Smith
    7 years ago

I have a noma signature 10 hp 31 cut it will back up no problemeverytimebut going forward it will go and then any incline or heavy snow it stops and seems like somethingis slipping but will back up no problem

• upup_and_away
    7 years ago

John, I would open up a new post if I were you. If u notice, this post was last added to in '14 not to mention a different issue.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler