Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toro Powermax Self Propel Not Engaging

Posted by sydneypr NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 11:11

Hi All,

Went out to blow 4 inches of snow this morning and the self propel isn't working on my Toro Powermax. I worked fine yesterday when I had tom move 12 inches (whew!). Anyway, The auger is working fine and it starts right up. I think the drive belt or something under the cover is broke. I have had the machine 8 years without a problem. How difficult of a repair is a drive belt?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toro Powermax Self Propel Not Engaging

It's not hard at all to repair. I had to change mine last week after 7 years of use. Luckily I had a spare that I bought 2-3 years ago so no trip to the dealer.

I would suggest that you get the service manual from Toro's website and save it to your computer and while you are there get the operators manual also. They come in handy.

If you are mechanically minded, the repair from start to washing your hands when done, should take you no more than an hour and that is going at a slow pace.

When you do go and get a new belt, I would suggest that you get 2 traction belts and another auger belt. After 5 years of use, a belt is starting to get worn out. So while you have the machine apart replace both belts and then 5 years down the road plan on getting some new belts again and replace them.

Take care

o
RE: Toro Powermax Self Propel Not Engaging

Thank you. I try to fix my own equipment when possible. I'll take your advise and replace all the belts. I'll pick up the belts tomorrow.

Keep warm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here