Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Propane Weed burner

Hi Folks,

This is winter? 60's here yesterday and I was out with a tractor and blade working on the driveway. Didn't need it as much as I needed to be "out there."

Anyway, my garden has somehow become infested with a particuarly nasty weed called Mind Your Own Business, difficult to control without using some very nasty chemicals which I won't do in the garden. Posted a query here on the Vegetable Garden forum and it was suggested that I simply burn them out with a propane burner. Sounds Good and I have a spare propane cylinder.

Never used one of those or seen one in use. Did a little web surfing and they're from $20 at Harbor (Asian) to $65 at Amazon (American made). Obviously I want to get the American made one, but my barn is overflowing with "wonderful stuff" that I got for a one time use and now years later, they sit and stare at me. Opting out of the "the most toys wins" contest....:-) If the Harbor unit will work for three uses, that'll do it. This weed needs at least two or better three applications to eradicate.

Discovered something interesting, when weed burning, best to do it after a rain as it's safer (duh) and the weed is full of water and it steams and explodes-weird.

Anyone used one of these? Opinions?

Thanks,

Ev

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    12 years ago

I have the HF burner. In my experience, they work well amongst the rocks and concrete etc, but less so in open ground. I've done hot water and try to burn them out. I've found the same result. Better in an area where the ground can stay hot I guess. Now, I haven't tried to make myob go away. The only thing I spray at all is wild morning glory at the edge of the yard. I used to spot spray the canaidian thistle. Weeds can be an indicator sometimes of a nutrient the soil is missing. I think I would try to smother them out if they were localized enough.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Tom,

My garden is 70X70 so that would be a lot of smothering. Not totally covered yet, but probably 2/3 of it. Where and how these arrived is a mystery. We've gardened there for over ten years, do soil tests and add amendments as required. Rotate crops, etc.

Maybe this non winter we're having allowed it to really blossom, been growing all winter. I tilled the entire area last fall about 3" deep which is what I always do.

thanks again,

Ev

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom,

Good idea to look into nutrients, I did and it's a SWAMP plant. Let's see, last spring was nothing but rain, AND last summer, AND last fall, AND this winter, gee, it's raining right now!!!

So, maybe the HF burner and if it ever stops raining here, I'll get my garden back.

Attached a link on MYOB.

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: MYOB

• ewalk
    12 years ago

Ex: 90% of infestations are caused by wind blown or bird droppings . Once the seed or larvae are dropped within the soil they quickly thrive in the damp conditions. Usually as Tom has recommended soil tests will indicate a lacking or a deterent to most of this type of problem often with non evasive nartural organic additives. Oh yes I have on ocassion utilized a propane Tiger Torch to expedite burn bushs and thistles in a controlled burn situation on a c alm windless day when the ground water table is still high .

• nod702
    12 years ago

I have the cheaper HF burner and i like it better than the American made one.It has self ignition and a squeeze handle to control the flame. My neighbor has an American made one that you have to manually light and the flame is controlled by an open and close valve. The more you open the valve the hotter the flame. I made a dolly for the tank from an old pressure washer cart.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner