Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need source for asian Hoe Handle

Posted by gyozu 7 Winston-Salem N (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 12:51

I am posting this here since I could not find a hand tool section.

Looking for replacement handles for hoe imprinted "Crocodile Anchor 3# made in thailand 2914c" It is a heavy digging hoe with a non standard Eye. I also found a similar hoe made in china by tombo. It is their model h301.

This is not carried by any local farm or garden supply store.
Here is photo.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need source for asian Hoe Handle

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 13:32

I had a similar problem only it was an Italian "Grape Hoe" I think it's called. Ended up buying a replacement wooden handle for a post hole digger and shaping the square end to fit the half-round hole. Interesting, the tools look very similar?

Good luck,

Ev

o

I have seen that brand in large Chinese grocery stores - I bought one in a store in Ann Arbor, MI

o

• Posted by gyozu 7 Winston-Salem N (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 11 at 11:35

Thanks for that tip. I did go back to the store where I bought it. They had handles, but they would not sell them by themselves. You had to buy the handle, head and wedge together.

I ended up getting handle that was for either a post hole digger or a wheel barrow and shaping that to fit. Works fine and it was $8.00 for the blank.

o

Good to know! Was it the same length?

Also - my blade keeps shaking loose - am doing something wrong when I put the wedge in obviously. Any tips or instructions?

Thanks.

o

• Posted by gyozu 7 Winston-Salem N (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 10:26

The handle blank that I used was longer than the original. Maybe 60"- 62". Goes above my shoulder and I am 5'10".
The hoe eye has a tapered hole with a flat side. To put it on, I slip it on over the grip end and bang it on the floor to seat it. I carved the handle real close to the eye and it fits tight. I have not needed to use the wedge so I am not sure how it gets placed on the handle. I think it gets driven into the large side of the eye between the handle and the metal, not into the wood like a hammer.There have been no problems with it loosening up and the design does not allow it to rotate.

One plus in making the handle is that I could size it for my height and grip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here