Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hand-held, spring-loaded post driver

Posted by tamu77 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 13:44

One post on the Farm Life forum says a spring-loaded post driver makes driving a post much easier, but a review of the model on the Tractor Supply site said the post gets stuck in the driver if the post is not hit in the center of the driver. Any comments on how well they work? I need to drive several dozen posts into clay soil, and anything that makes the job easier on a previously-fractured wrist that tends to ache after such work would be a blessing.

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hand-held, spring-loaded post driver

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 14:44

All we've ever used here on the farm is the spring loaded kind. It really saves your back when the spring helps the driver start back up. Don't know what kind it is, it's been around here forever. I did once help a guy do some fence mending, all he had for a driver was a piece of iron pipe with a cap on it, don't know how that compares to non spring loaded but that was work!!!

One thing about TSC, take it home and try it, if it's not what you want they're good about refunding your money.

Good Luck,

Ev

o

Thanks for your reply, Ev. I bought the spring-loaded one at TSC and found it really hard to drive posts. The spring was creating resistance and thus requiring more effort than one without a spring. It was also making my previously-fractured wrist hurt on about the 4th post and I had to quit right away.

You were right about TSC. The store readily let me exchange it for one without the spring.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 11 at 15:33

Hmmm, guess I didn't notice the part about the fractured wrist. My experience is that it's easier to put a lot of force coming down with gravity with you, then the spring starts it back.

Glad it worked out for you.

Too bad it's not 20 or so years ago and you could hire a kid to do that who would be glad of the job and work hard.

Ev

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here