Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a chipper/shredder to shred Spanish moss?

Posted by swallowtailtigress 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 13:53

I know this might be a long-shot - before my farm's chipper/shredder was stolen it was constantly breaking when workers tried to incorrectly shred Spanish moss with it. We've discovered that if you chop up the Spanish moss with a machete and throw it through the shredder it makes an excellent mulch for containers!

Now we need a new shredder and were wondering if there are any super-tough shredders out there that could tackle Spanish moss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a chipper/shredder to shred Spanish moss?

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 17:04

swallowtailtigress,

My recommendation would be one of the MacKissic hammermill style shredder/chippers. I have an older model (12PT9), which I have been using for many years, and it has been amazingly versatile. I have most of the optional screens, from 1/4-inch up to the wet materials screen, and I find it is amazing how many different materials I can put through it and how many different product textures I can get. It comes with a 1-inch diameter hole screen, but do consider getting one or more of the optional screens. (Scroll down there for the 12P/PT/PTE table.) And the optional pull handle is handy, too. I drag my MacKissic Shredder/Chipper around sort of like a big kids wagon, to first one work site and then another.

I am currently in the process of putting a compost pile through the 1/4-inch screen prior to applying it to the garden as a soil amendment. You can put almost anything through a hammermill, including "dirt".

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here