Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Air Compressor recommendations

Posted by puzzlefan 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 14:29

We need to replace our old compressor and want to down size at the same time. Any recommendations for a compressor with good reliability in the 100-150 dollars would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Air Compressor recommendations

There ain't any air compressors out there, in the $100 range that will be worth anything more than airing up yer tires! I don't know what you had before, nor what you want to do with a new one, but, you'd might as well go to HF and buy one of their little puffers, and use it to puff up yer tires.
If you are thinking of using it for paint spraying, or sand blasting--go buy a better, bigger compressor. Using a cheapo air compressor for that kind of work will only result in mucho frustration on your part, and be a waste of money. JMHO: Rusty J.

o

I have a 21 year old Daton and a 5 or 6 year old Buffalo, both cost around $150. The Daton still going strong, the Buffalo is not worth draging home.

Daton made in USA, Buffalo made in China. Larry

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 8:24

In somewhat the same position. Going to replace a little 120V unit that's about 15 years old, as I'd like something with a little more oomph. Problem is, it just keeps on running. I'd decided on one of the porter-cable pancake units which are around $150 at Amazon including S&H. Good reviews and they're also available at Sears so watch sales.

Northern tool had 4-5 pancakes in your price range, probably made in China as a lot of their stuff is.

Rusty is right if you want a little unit to do anything like running air tools, painting, etc. You gotta go bigger. The little ones theoretically will run a small nailer, dunno, my carpentering days were before air tools everything was done with a hammer...:-)

Good Luck,

Ev

o

If you get oilless make sure brakein like manual states most time run 30 minutes without pressure on brakein.

o

We have only one small job left in our remodeling project, nailing wall border strips. Spending a lot would not make sense. We will look at the Porter Cable. We did find that the electric nailers aren't up to the job as we now have one to return. They just can't get the 1 1/4 nails buried.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here