Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting down ornamental grasses

Posted by lily603 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 14:39

i've had such a problem with O.G. have about 25 and get tired of tough stalks. saw this somewhere
Black & Decker PHS550B 3.4 Amp Powered Handsaw
and wondered if anyone has one and has used it in the garden for old grass. it looks manageable for old fingers.tried the trimmer and even with a blade instead of line the process was tiring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting down ornamental grasses

Lily, I have no personal knowledge of this saw. I took a look at it on Amazon web site, and it has pretty good reviews, except that a number of people could never get the blade installed. You might take a look at those reviews. THAT SAID, and not knowing what kind of ornamental grass you're dealing with, I wonder if you could cut the stalks with loppers. Also, is cutting the stalks going to kill the plants, or will they simply spring up again? Would it be feasible to use herbicide? Best luck.

o

I don't know about that saw, I also could not see what the length of stroke is. You can buy a recip cheaper, not sure they would do what you want. I have 3, 2 of which the blades changes without tools which I like. I almost never use the one that is harder to change the blade. I have both battery and corded, the corded are a better buy.

o

We have six clumps of the OG that grows to about six feet tall. I burn the clumps every year. Was going to do that today but it was too windy. They burn fast and hot. We always have a water hose handy.

o

I've had success using an electric (corded) 22" hedge trimmer. Work your way around the outside first and then cut the center.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here