Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Blacksmithing/Metalworking question

Hi Folks,

Recently purchased a Mantis tiller, which is the topic of another post here. I don't like the fact it doesn't have wheels and Mantis wants too much for them.

Looking at the tiller the Mantis replaced, I figured a way to recycle it's wheels onto the Mantis. The wheels on the old unit are mounted on a steel rod which is horizontal and then takes a 90 degree turn to the vertical to mount to the tiller gear box.

What I'm thinking of doing is simply heat the steel rod and "reform" the 90 degree bend into something like 130 degrees. I have an anvil, hammers, etc. Thinking of using a charcoal fire as the heat source. Also have a propane torch, but don't think it'll get hot enough.

The Mantis came with a kick stand, which is mounted on two brackets which attach to the handles down near the gearbox. Will also heat and flatten the rod to be inserted between the brackets, drill a hole for a bolt and done deal.

The wheels won't get a lot of stress as they're primarily used for parking the unit and provide an easy way of guiding and steering while cultivating between rows. Also won't be used for transport as the garden is quite a ways from the barn and I simply load everything I need into a garden cart for the trip.

Opinions?

Ev

Comments (4)