Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a chipper that won't fail!

Posted by meadow_lark 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 15:34

We need to purchase a REALLY GOOD chipper... one that can take fairly large branches, limbs and small trees...

Anyone have any recommendations?

Also - if you know of any pieces of junk that you wouldn't recommend - please let me know.

Thanks... Meadow Lark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a chipper that won't fail!

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 4, 09 at 21:23

For home use, Echo's Bearcat is one of the best. The rental yards carry them which says something for their durability.I used to sell them and some customers were turned off by the cost. We brought in the much cheaper Ardisam line but once people saw the difference, they went back to the Bearcat.
The box store units are very light duty, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

o

I have a McKissic 12P10 and it has been an excellent chipper/shredder. It has a 10 HP engine.

It will easily handle branches three inches in diameter and with extra screens, will produce compost that ranges from chips to powder.

o

I second the vote for MacKissic. I have the older 12PT9 model, and several accessory screens.

ZM

o

Hi Meadow Lark, I don't post much in these forums, but I too was looking for a reliable c/s and thought I'd share the results of my recent search & purchase.

I just picked up a Kemp K6CHE off of eBay for $300. 5HP, electric start, 42 flail hammermill; chips 3" branches. It looks like new, the previous owner having only run it for a season or two. Very heavy unit; seems to be solidly built.

I was looking at the Mackissic products; but they were a bit out of my price range. The Kemp already has devoured two-inch limbs from my ash, elm, and spruce trees. Oleander branches go through with ease. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Good luck; hope you find something good!

o

I think the original poster needed a bigger machine then the Mac or the Kemp. More industrial sized chipping jobs would need larger machines like maybe something from the DR line.

o

captturbo,

"I think the original poster needed a bigger machine then the Mac or the Kemp."

MacKissic has some big machines, like the MacKissic SC262.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here