Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Painting Garden Cart bed

Hi Folks,

Need to paint the inside bed of my garden cart. It's, I think, an Agri Fab, the 18 cu.ft. model. Historically, all I did in the fall was wash it out well, wire brush, let dry for a day or two then apply a couple of coats of cheap black paint. Yeah, I know, you get what you pay for. However, I do know that expensive paint without proper surface preparation is a waste of expensive paint.

I also know that sandblasting would be a good way to go, not in my budget, also I use this for hauling dirt, composted horse manure, etc. and unload with a flat shovel which scrapes the bed.

What I was thinking of doing was using one or two applications of Naval Jelly, then following with an oil based paint. Tractor Supply as some geneneric oil based paint in "rattle cans" that seems to work OK and isn't too expensive.

I also seem to recall a post "somewhere" that truck bed liner, the brush on kind, was useful in this application. Don't know anything about this product, but the concept seems intriguing.

Another possibility, in view of the constant scraping from the shovel would be to cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom of the bed and let that take the punishment. What I'm wondering about is whether the wood would "draw damp" and be in constant contact with the metal underneath resulting in a worse situation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Comments (5)