Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I cut Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices to start wood

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 17:05

How can I cut Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices to start wood fires? I'm Challenged cutting Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices as firewood starters.
1. Slow me c/n believe my bandsaw c/n handle this chore until gumming 2 blades and breaking a tire.
2. I tried cutting with a precipicating saw with a course sawzall blade to get a gummy mess.
3. I feel or know my electric chainsaw will do the job but question what the log will do to the chain and bar.

Please share your results of cutting a Dura Flame log to start firewood fires or opinions. Newspaper and mixed kindling has worked but I thought this would enhance starts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I cut Dura Flame fireplace logs in slices to start wo

My 1st thought was the 12” Urethane Band Saw tire’s weld broke with the blade still on and running. The weld appeared good and I feel the blade cut the tire after it came off. Is this common or sounds rational? 3-4 Years of occasional use on the 1st set of urethane tires, trying to beat dry rot rubber tires.

o

just throwing this out there-
What if you put the logs in the deep freeze first?

Probably not worth the effort.....

o

Thanks Bil! I’ll put the remaining half outside since we have a mild freeze predicted and try a hand saw (if it appears to be brittle). Otherwise, I’ll hope to break it into usable sections to get this experiment on the negative list this winter. Small starters are sold but not at the same value if cutting had worked. The small sections are working enhancing paper and kindling starting.

The real key is to keep some coals going when we have consistent days of freezing weather. BUT, This Is NORTH, TEXAS! Safe Experimenting/Exercising while we enjoy the heat is the real goal.

o

Thanks Bil! I’ll put the remaining half outside since we have a mild freeze predicted and try a hand saw (if it appears to be brittle). Otherwise, I’ll hope to break it into usable sections to get this experiment on the negative list this winter. Small starters are sold but not at the same value if cutting had worked. The small sections are working enhancing paper and kindling starting.

The real key is to keep some coals going when we have consistent days of freezing weather. BUT, This Is NORTH, TEXAS! Safe Experimenting/Exercising while we enjoy the heat is the real goal.

o

• Posted by mla2ofus z4b Caribou Co. Id (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 23:16

So what's wrong w/ some newsprint and ol' fashioned kindling w/ maybe a little used motor oil on it?
Mike

o

I've been using Diamond Brand Strike-A-Fire fire starters for years and they work well for me. They come 48 to a box and I break them in half so I get 96 starts per box. Available at Walmart for about 9.00 a box. Just need to use good dry kindling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Strike-A-Fire Firestarter, 48ct

o

Thanks For The Ideas!

1. Diamond Brand Strike-A-Fire sounds good @ 96 starts.
2. I have pallet planks, cut 8-10” long, split to approx 1” sticks per pan full holding all ver.
3. I’ll feel Word’s Auto Text, Etc changed my spelling “reciprocating to precipitating saw” that I missed.
4. Are you using rubber or urethane tires on your band saws? Customer Care wants me to use US Mail to send the cut tire. Sounds as if they might re-weld or replace.
5. If you have put a urethane tire on (using hot water), you know I need to take the day off.

Stay Safe With The Endless Repairs And Experimenting!

o

What about using a hammer and chisel?

I haven't tried it with the Dura Flame logs so might be a problem. But I do it this way for the Dura Flame Fire Starting bricks. Those are about 1" x 3" x 6". I normally cut them into 1/4 pieces that way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dura Flame Fire Starter

o

The hammer and chisel is exactly what I have in mind. I feel I’ll get some useable chunks. If needed, I’ll drill some ¼” holes 1” apart (as an influencing grid) in the brick size section left. Then I’ll contain the chunks in a sealed plastic coffee can to see if the chemical last vs drying up.

My task today was to find backup Urethane Bandsaw Tires, “locally and reasonably”. I thought I would get lucky at Granger, Northern Tools or an industrial Supply. No luck Yet! The manufacture has not ruled out replacing the tire free if I mail them the cut tire. I will if needed. Presently, I am asking if I can send pics of the shipping container, weld that d/n break and cut that occurred when the tire came off w/o the blade coming off (to save the postage).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here