Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dremel chain saw sharpening.

Posted by rboone7760 none (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 17:44

I purchased a Dremel chain saw sharperer that has an angle of 30 degrees and 0 tilt. I have a new chainsaw that calls fot this angle. I also have an much older saw that calls for a 35 degree and a 10 degree tilt. Do I need a separate guide for the old chain or can the Dremel guide be used for both? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dremel chain saw sharpening.

The Dermal guide should work for both when you develop a feel for using the tool. I have enjoyed my 110V Sears related since 1984 (savings tons on sharpening that took too much off the chains).

Your next challenge will be to make chains from used or chain stock or rem links from stretched chains (if you deal with much dirty wood). Always test your sharpening before depending on a good cut.

o
RE: Dremel chain saw sharpening.

The other version of the electric sharpeners I have seen have fixed or accurately set angles that will do a good quick job (cheap) but my chains w/n last for the life they have lasted with a dermel type. I feel the operator intentionally takes more off so that one pass will fix all conditions. I would say the dermel type could be compared to a file (one pass if needed vs my usual light 3).

Opinions???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here