Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Troy Bilt Horse tine shaft

Posted by redtroll Alabama (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 17:44

I have recently aquired an older, sn 407218, Troy Bilt Horse tiller and am in the process of replacing the wheel and tine shaft seals. At least that was where I started.

As is almost always the case more things wanting attention turn up once you start taking things apart. Once I got the tine shaft out it looked like someone had tried to dig the seals out and really chewed the shaft up. It is gouged so badly that there was no way for oil seals to hold up.

I am in the process of putting in the replacement tine shaft and have about .126" of end-to-end clearence with a .010" thick cover gasket in place. And since the bearings are loose in the cups there is lateral slop as well.

The parts house lists "tine shaft shims", and they are included in the tine shaft gear & bearing kit. However I haven't been able to find shims mentioned in the manual for this tiller.

It would be a great help if someone could educate me about the proper clearences for the tine shaft.

Many thanks,
RT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Troy Bilt Horse tine shaft

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 20:54

I can't answer your question, but I would guess that the wear on the shaft seal surface is from dirt and vegetation that gets stuck in that area and the owner didn't clean it often.

o

The shaft seal surface was chewed on by assorted chisels and screw drivers from the looks of it. There are also some ball peen hammer divots scattered about.

I have a new shaft and in the process of putting things back together. Want to do this right.

RT

o

Just in case anyone else has a similar question I'll update what I learned today from Tim at "Custompartsinc.com".

The original bronze gear was thicker then the current replacement gear. The replacement gear uses two .055" thick spacers to make up for the difference.

Can't say enough good things about Custom parts as a Troy Bilt part supplier.

RT

o

• Posted by mla2ofus z7b Tom Green Co.,Tx (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 24, 10 at 18:54

I just posted in my thread about my horse. I just replaced all the seals in the tine box. I found a 1 1/2" PVC works to drive the tine shaft seals and 1 1/4" PVC works for the front seal.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here