Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stihl 009 carburetor

Posted by mike8149 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 17:58

I have a 20 yr old Stihl 009 that's been sitting for 5 years and I'm now trying to do a tune up. I've installed a carb kit and it runs strong but when I shut the saw down gas puddles above the throttle plate. I didn't pay attention when I dissasemled the needle valve and am not sure I have the mounting bracket installed properly. Does the dimple, on the bracket, go up or down? It seems to run either way and puddles the same regardless of which way I have it installed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stihl 009 carburetor

Try posting at the arborist site if you don't get a good answer here.

o

If by bracket you mean the teeter totter lever, the dimple goes down. It holds the spring in place so it won't slide off.

Make sure the main diaphragm is furthest from carb body, gasket is first.

The hole the inlet needle goes in may be dirty. A trimmed cotton swab stick with cleaner can be used to to clean out the seat.

o

Ok, thanks. I got it back together but now it won't start unless I prime it with carb cleaner and then it starts and immediately dies. When it was flooding it did run ok once I got it going.

o

I finally got the carb adjusted correctly. The oil pump wasn't workig so I replaced the diaphram. It's pumping oil fine but when I shut the saw off oil continues to seep out of the port and puddles under the chassis. The oil pump has about 20 inches of vacuum in one direction and none in the other. Any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here