Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

The small 9-12 ton log splitter split all the pecan wood

loger_gw
12 years ago

The small 9-12 ton log splitter split all the pecan wood cut 12-15" long up to 36" dia w/o any problems or leaks and backed off or slowed 2-3 times (a sharp hatchet was handy with some strings). A 40 year old tree can have some surprises inside from old pruning to cause resistance in what is thought to be clean wood. BUT! After about 3 hrs and finished, I made my final feel for heat and the 1 HP electric motor had the only signs (period) that you c/n leave your hand on long. I feel the heat raised (from 70 degree weather) while the motor was off and the thermal protection kicked-in (it did run again after it cooled).

Is the by-pass over-load valve protecting you from damaging the cylinder's seals etc from using too much force? This was a first because I usually work mornings vs afternoons when the North TX heat starts. I'll plan to pull the filter (as my entry port) and check the oil for contamination etc soon (since I have 6 hrs on the last rebuild).

I had no idea after 30 + years that logs yield so much more split cord measured wood due to cutting smaller wood and not paying attention. This cord of logs yield 1.5 Face Cord + cut/split as needed.

I hope starting this new post was not bad or confusing vs continuing my stale post. loger

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz