Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reminder for Honda FG100 tiller owners

Posted by javert Z8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 19:06

As spring approaches, you should service the transmission of your FG100 - this is something that is easily overlooked, but if you don't you'll almost certainly join the ranks of "Failed Transmission in Honda Tiller Owners."

It's a half-hour job, and step-by-step instructions are in your owners manual. Here's a heads-up: My manual says to loosen the dust cap cover using a 3/32" Allen wrench; in fact, my tiller required a 5/64" wrench - also, that Allen screw is recessed about an inch so that you might think that it is missing.

You put grease in by pressing your grease gun nozzle TIGHTLY against the fill hole, so expect to pump quite a bit of grease onto the outside of the transmission.

This maintenance action is MANDATORY to avoid transmission failure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reminder for Honda FG100 tiller owners

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 14:55

Good "Heads UP!"

Related question to this, I have a small tiller that requires "lubriplate 630AA" in the gear case. It has a zerk fitting and a screw to remove for venting. Problem is, lubriplate is so expensive, or I don't know where to buy it. I order the 1 3/4 oz. tubes online and it's about $11 delivered. The zerk is removed as is the vent screw, then the nozzle of the tube is inserted and squeezed until lube comes out the vent. This works, but is there another lubricant that's comparable?

Ev

o

I've never heard of lubriplate. I use Green Grease in my FG100. Seems to work great everywhere I have used it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Grease

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 9:10

Just googled Green Grease and I'm going to try it! $7.99 for a tube locally beats $36 on line! I've never bught the ten oz tube, got by with the 1-3/4 oz. ones which were only $7.99 plus S&H.

Lubriplate is kind of a "rocket science lubricant, really slippery stuff.

Thanks!

Ev

o

I am looking for someone with experience with accessories for the FT 100 Tiller. There are four that I am aware of, Aerator, Dethatcher, Border/Edger and Digging Tines Kit. Would be interested in feedback on any or all of the Kits.

o

Wish I could help, Arland, but I just till with mine. I suggest that you start a new thread with your question - you would be much more likely to get responses.

o

Aerator: meh, but it is nice having a verticutter for seeding small projects in the lawn. Certainly doesn't make nice crisp slices like a slit seeder.

Dethatcher: works excellent! Keep in mind there is a gap in between the two sides. I usually go in two directions when needed.

Digging Tines: these are similar to the Mantis and work the soil to a finer grain than the stock tines.

Border/Edger: meh! The rpm of the tiller is not fast enough to make crisp lines and cuts. Not worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here