Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1600 Watt generator electrical problems

Posted by tundrawolf (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 19:42

Hello,

I have an obsolete generator (no longer supported). It uses two brushes. Recently I have needed it and got it running. But there is no AC output. If I energize the brushes with 13 VDC it will put out AC voltage, but as soon as I remove the 13 VDC the AC output stops immediately. So, I replaced the capacitor, and not it will put out AC for a second on startup, then nothing, until I energize the brushes with DC voltage again.

I tested the two diodes inside the head, and they both test OK. There is a small black box and a voltage regulator left. The black box doesn't test out as a diode, and has a resistance going both ways of around 6.4 ohms.

The voltage regulator is a 4 wire unit. One wire goes to the large capacitor, another wire goes to one of the brushes, another wire goes to the ground, and another wire goes back to the generator coil.

Can anyone give me some advice? maybe building my own regulator?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1600 Watt generator electrical problems

I de-potted the potted regulator and found that the large transistor had blown up, and some other components had also blown up.

Unfortunately I cannot get another regulator.

Any ideas on what I could do? The regulator says "S505" on the PCB. I might try replacing individual components but they may be impossible. On one component that has 4 leads, 3 small on the bottom, one large on top, it is blown up and only 5Z is visible on the bottom, and maybe the beginning of an "S" on the top. Then there are two larger units that came unsoldered marked 1GZ then 6.C, and they have a polarizing mark so they are a diode or a capacitor. I am leaning towards diode. Finally, there is the large transistor that is using the metal casing as a heat sink. it is marked D1795 D07 or 007 JAPAN 50 then B C E. (Base Collector Emitter)

o
RE: 1600 Watt generator electrical problems

The large transistor is likely a "2SD1795"; I googled it and found several data sheets. Probably you can find one at a local electronics distributor, or online (Digikey, maybe). Don't know what the other components might be. Can you post pictures of them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here