Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Should there be any noticible/measureable connector rod play

loger_gw
12 years ago

Should there be any noticible/measureable connector rod play at the flywheel or rod? This got my attention while inspecting my old late 1980s Poulan S25 Pro for excessive bar oil or blow-by attracting a mess of sawdust.

1. My repair manual d/n address this spec, online I found there should be none vs the noticeable movement not at TDC. There are no signs of heat at the connection or a knock. Would there be if this is excessive?

2. The excessive bar oil appears to be coming from the tank's vent. I feel this is due to a bad auto oiler diaphragm or blockage. Finding parts, age, etc might be an issue. I can live with sealing off the auto pressure if this is truly a known problem "since the manual oiler works".

3. Why would I have oil tank pressure causing excessive oil if the auto oiler is bad? Plus, I used low psi to test the split tank design and pressure came out at the bar's oil port.

4. History: Purchased about 1988, avg. use of 2-3 cords per 20 + yrs, replaced piston & rings about 10 yrs ago due to bad /seized piston skirt in good chrome cylinder (below ring travel).

Thanks In Advance for any Help. Experimenting Loger!

Comments (5)