Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snowblower engine blowing oil !

Posted by hey_laudi WV (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 20:19

My Tecumseh engine (10.5 hp) started blowing oil out of vent tube on carb side of engine. Only happens during hard use such as the 24-30 inch snow that we just received. Any similar problems or solutions ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snowblower engine blowing oil !

Common issues are too full of oil, (may have been contaminated w/ fuel),breather itself defective or return plugged, rpms too high, external leak such as missing dipstick seal, or simply excessive crankcase pressure from a worn engine. If you are really horsing the machine and /or it is being tipped back a lot- just cover your bases best you can and it should be fine.

o

Changed oil this morning to make sure I had proper amount, 28 oz on this one. Also, if I stop the engine to check the oil level, there won't be any on the dipstick at first. After it sits for a while, it will then show on stick. Seems like an oil return problem. Machine is a Husqvarna and is only a couple yrs. old. Not that many hours at all. Thanks for the response. LJ

o

When an engine is running, it splashes the oil all around inside the crank-case. And after the oil heats up, it goes everywhere inside the crankcase. After it cools down a bit, and sets quietly, and cools off, the oil will thicken and you will be able to get a reading.
I have seen a machine that the owner did the oil check too soon, with the oil being hot from running. He did the dip-stick check, and since the oil was hot and thin and splashed all around inside the engine, he dumped in a lot of oil! When it cooled down, it had too much oil in it, and clogged everything up!

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 11:27

Do you think the oil return hole under the valve cover is blocked by a broken piece of gasket or carbon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here