Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman 9.0 Auger

Posted by dmwesq NY (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 20:23

My Craftsman snowblower just started pushing snow. It worked fine the last use, which was a major storm with lots of ice and heavy snow. Looking at the machine I see one shear pin was sheared off, and appears stuck inside the hole. The auger rod also seems as if it might be bent or partially snapped, as there is a noticeable sag and the auger is scraping against the housing. I have the feeling I will need to replace the entire auger rod. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman 9.0 Auger

Frankly, you just need to dig into it. You will need to drive out the old pin in order to replace it. Inspect also the bearings at each end of the auger shaft and the support bearing at the back of the impeller for slop. Have an assistant start the machine and engage the auger. After it has run enough to blow out the snow and ice, have a look at how true things are running looking for problem areas. Shut the machine off before inspecting too close!

o

I got the pin out and the rod is definitely snapped. Only problem is Sears shows a back order until 3/31. Is there another bar that would be an equivalent replacement - model # is 247.88790 - 28" model.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 15:21

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg021703417584.html

See that link. You'll probably end up doing a similar job.

o

Did you search Amazon.com for the part? I've bought some parts for my Craftsman (built by Murray) on Amazon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here