Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1970 mack 10-10

Posted by rboone7760 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 20:30

I do not use a chainsaw very often. I have an old Mack 10-10. I need to keep a saw so that I can use as needed. How does this old saw compare with more modern ones? I know that newer ones weigh less and have more safety features. The old Mack has a 5.4cc engine, how does the efficiency, sawing, compare to newer ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1970 mack 10-10

Heavy old saw, hard to find parts for, and if you don't wear ear protection, you will lose hearing in your right ear.

Get it running right, and it will cut great, those old saws don't rev as high, but with a sharp chain will go through some wood with a lot of grunt.

o
RE: 1970 mack 10-10

I have an old Mack too, I bought it in the 70's.

I didn't need a chainsaw often, but when I needed one, I needed it then.

It took a good bit of work getting it started every year even when it was new and after all of these years it became a PITA.

I broke down and bought an Echo last year, now I'm actually looking for things to use it on!

So much lighter, faster, fuel efficient, and starts so easy!

The chain oiling systems have improved so much also. I had to replace the bar and chain on the old one every year without even using it that much.

I have been using this Echo a lot due to a lot of my trees dying from our years long drought. I have probably put more hours on it in the last year than all totaled on the old Mack.

Everything is still good, no need for a new bar or chain. And I don't have to sharpen the chain as often, maybe better chains?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here