Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old troy-built tiller

Posted by stl2hi (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 2, 10 at 20:38

i recently purchased an old troy-built tiller. but i do not know what it is. it has a 6.5 tecumsah engine on it. the only number i can find on it is 20690 on the case. please help. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old troy-built tiller

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 6:07

The "old" ones had an HH60, 6HP engine. What is its problem?

o

The tecumseh HH 60 engine is a 6 H.P. engine. If it runs ok, keep it on the machine. It will have enough power to operate it well.
those older ones worked well at garden tilling. If you do get it running and operating, be very careful that you don't allow the engine to tip forward and hit the ground, as that tends to let the engine break off at the mounting lugs, or break the crank-case!There used to be a "bumper" arrangement that bolted onto the front, and down under the engine mount, to keep from breaking the engine casting!
Try to get a manual from MTD, as they bought out the tiller company, and are still selling parts and manuals for them.
When you get it running, carefully learn how it all works, and it will serve you well.

o

1971 year model build in last part 71 that 6 1/2 horsepower is mistery.

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 4, 10 at 6:32

I bought the bumper guard right away. Helps keep the carb from being knocked off when you drive into the barn wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here