Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning Hydraulic Tank On Wood Splitter

Posted by jwatts8275 Oregon (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 21:45

Just bought an older wood splitter and have begun to rejuvinate it. After changing the ignition system from points and condenser to electronic ignition and rebuilding the carburetor the engine runs great. Now I need to clean out the hydraulic tank and flush the pump and hoses. The tank had water and who knows what mixed in with the hydraulic fluid which left about 1/2 inch of (nasty)sludge in the bottom of the tank. I'm pretty sure there may be some sludge or various other types of yuck built up in the pump, cylinder and hoses. Now to my question and down on my knees plea for help....
Would anyone happen to know a way to remove the sludge from the bottom of the tank and flush the pump and hoses? The tank has a 1 inch diameter hole in the top for adding and checking the fluid and a 1 inch hole in the bottom for draining it. It is welded to the frame so it can't be removed. Any ideas, suggestions or information of known methods will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning Hydraulic Tank On Wood Splitter

assuming it is a tow behind style dump a gallon or two of diesel in the tank. hook it up and tow up and down a rough road for a mile or so. jack or block it up so the drain plug is lower than the rest of the tank. drain it and use a tank sprayer w/ diesel to wash what you can by sticking the wand down the fill hole. if it doesn't already have one i strongly recommend a hyd filter on the suction line since there's no guarantee the tank will be absolutely clean. hyd pumps aren't cheap!!
mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here