Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

Need a good line trimmer- Stihl vs echo vs ?

jeep461
17 years ago

I have killed another Sears trimmer. It had been repaired 2 times in a shop and twice by me starting pull rope. (4 years old limited use.) I hate weed eating. Period. I guess it was due to crappy trimmers. I am willing to spend $ 300.00 or less. I would like a trimmer that starts and is easy to repair. The Sears recoil start was a nightmare. I do not have a lot of trimming but sometimes clear a weed line along the electric fence about 3 acres. What would you recommend. It appears Stihl and Echo are tops in the class.

Comments (63)

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Went to the Stihl dealer looked as if he was going out of business. Hmmmm he always looked busy before. So I was off to a place where I have never been before and they had been in businees for 15 years. Well all they carried was Shindawa and echo. So I wound up buying a Echo SRM210. I needed something that my wife could use and it was light. I guess I will still always want a Stihl.

Funny thing I was going to get a plug for the old Sears and see if it would run and give the weed eater away. I did not get the plug but left the sears unit next to my truck. Well You guessed it. I backed over it. It was a good ending to a bad weedeater. Thanks for all the help.

Jim

• blacknumber1
    17 years ago

My McCullough 2250 still seems to be going strong after six seasons. I dont put alot of hours a year on it. If I replace it when it dies I'll probably either go RedMax or Echo.

• masiman
    17 years ago

Canguy,

Thanks for the info. I did not realize that. I tried to confirm from the Stihl info, but it does not have that information, very generic stuff. I am guessing the R model means loop handle and non-R is bike? It does not matter. I have the 80R. What was the price difference on between the 80 and 85 if any?

• jclimber
    17 years ago

My Pouland Weedeater Featherlite died recently after 12 years of use, so I was in the market for a new trimmer. For about a $90 investment, the Featherlite was a great machine.

I bought an Echo GT-200R at Home Depot recently, with a fixed-line head (Rapid-Load). It sucked!! The dual-strings only lasted for about 60 seconds worth of trimming (0.095 string). I can't believe people use these things (fixed-line heads). I could have gotten a bump-line head for it but then the toal cost of the trimmer would have been $180.

I took the Echo back and bought a Stihl FS-45 instead (FS CE-45 was $30 more for an easier start engine, but it didn't seem worth it to me, plus 0.5 lbs heavier). Starts nicely and has a dual-line bump head.

-Jason

• yungman
    16 years ago

Hi Jeep461
    I don't know how good Stihl is, but compare with Mecedes is not a good thing. Mecedes is about the worst car other than Land Rover!!! They are so unreliable is not even funny. Yes, I am speaker as a owner!! Consummer Report Rated them very bad and it is every bit true. My 2003 E class had a new transmission, AC, wipper all went out. I had the presense to buy the extended warrentee, I don't have to pay anything yet.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I have not owned a new Mercedes since Chrysler took over. I knew they could ruin it. I had some 300 sd's a while back. Magnificent cars one is still running with over 500,000 miles. I sold it at 380,000 it still did not burn a drop of oil. All I ever did was brakes, batteries, AC compressors and 1 water pump. 35 mpg and would run 100+ MPH all day long. It felt like 50.

Sorry Chrysler screwed a good thing up. It used to be built by master mechanics and they were responsible for the car. If there were too many problems they would loose their job. They tracked everything and it was linked back to the person at the factory who was in charge of building the car. I hate unreliable anything. My echo has been good to me so far.

Jim

• yungman
    16 years ago

Hi Jeep461
    I know, it is so bad it is disgusting! I have no intension keeping it over the extended warrentee period. Going to sell it a year before the extended warrentee expire so the new owner have a chance to use it too!!
    Back to the forum, to Aesanders I wrote to Husqvana to confirm, the 4 cycle 324 series trimmers' engine are Honda GX25, the 326 are a 2 rings engine make in Sweeden. Just a piece of info. I am in market of a trimmer, I am eyeing on Makita 4 cycle also. Honda have a timing belt which I don't like even though I was told that it don't seem to have any problem. I might still consider it because of Honda's reputation.
    Anyone have any opinion on Makita which is the Robin 4 cycle.

• den69rs96
    16 years ago

Jeep61 you have it backwards. Mercedes bought majority ownership in Chrysler about 10 years ago. Recently Mercedes just sold their majority ownership. Mercedes was the one running the show during the so called merger. Mercedes managed to take one of the most profitable american car companies and totally destroy it in about 10 years. Anyway, your echo trimmer should last much longer than the sears one. Echo seems to make a good product.

• hammer_jammer
    15 years ago

I'm pretty much set on a stihl or eccho. Just whatever I can get for the best bang for the buck.
    I work at a government job where we weedeat along roads,creek banks and hillsides everyday for about 8 months a year. We always used stihl until husquvarna got the low bid one year. Let me tell you that the husqy is not as good as a stihl. Years of use with the stihls and sometime we would have to change the bar because it would bend from beating it on the ground day after day. The husqy's (3 of them) Didn't even make it one season under our work load. Sometime they would only go out 2 0r 3 times. Several problems plagued them. Now we make sure to get bids from places that only carry stihl. The husqy would still probably make an ok machine for home use though If it was quiet a bit cheaper than the stihl.

I used an old echo at home for years that my dad had given me. It had seen many years of use before I got it. It finally crapped out after about 5 years of use but as I said it had been very well used when I got it. So I have to give echo an A+ too.
    I am at current using an old used homelite (also given to me)which is somewhat week for what I'm used to but it does ok for what it is and what I put it through. I use a fixed string head on it. (For the guy who was fussing about fixed string heads. They aren't that bad as long as you watch what you are doing and don't burn your string up on posts,block,saplings,or fencing.) It also was very used when I got it so I can't say to much bad about it. I'll keep it around for a backup but I'm gonna get another echo or a stihl soon cause the homelite is literally to lite for what I need.

The only new weedeater I ever bought was a ryobi. Don't even go that route. I didn't even get a season before their weird head design tore up. It never felt good from day one. To much vibration. To heavy, Just not a good weedeater.

• saltydog806
    15 years ago

I'm hoping this will cause a Bump. I am looking for 2009 opinions. I need a string trimmer (spend $300.00 or less. Only about 1/3 acre though lost of trimming of grass around all the plants, trees and bushes. Have about 100' of woods with wild blackberry bushes etc. and I have to trim that back every few years. What make and models should I look at.

Thanks,

Keith

• masiman
    15 years ago

If you get an Echo 260 or Stihl FS90, you'll have a bigger machine than what you need for most of the trimming but you'll have one that will be able to do brush alot better than the others. Look for one with a solid shaft for brushcutting.

• equinox_grow
    15 years ago

Cant complain about my Echo. Easy to start also. I dont have a problem with the dual line system it has. It is better than dealing with tangled line and trying to untangle it.

• yungman
    15 years ago

For under $300, Echo SRM231 comes to mind. Only 22.9cc, is it strong enough?
    How about Kawasaki, I saw on Ebay for less than $300, way less than $300!!! It is 25 or 26cc.
    I used to be able to buy Husqvarna 326Lx for under $300, but they since stop carry in stock.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My ECHO SRM2400 is very reliable. I can run it 2 hours put it down and it starts and idles like it did when it was new. It is nice to have faith is my weed eater. Echo rocks..... I see neighbors with POS trimmers that will not idle, start, rev etc. Now I hate weed eating but it is not too bad when you know it will start and finish perfect and do it again next time

• austinz57
    13 years ago

i would say get a husqvarna 128c there around 100 dollars, its the most reliable weedeater ive owned, it started in three or four pulls after sitting in the unheated shed all winter. i have 20 acres i weed eat about an hour or 2 every weekend almost and it has plenty of power, i put .105 line and it rips through almost anything.

• gorper99
    13 years ago

Echo-SRM 210.

• glenam
    13 years ago

I love Echos, especially when it comes time to work on them.
    You can take the tube/shaft off w/o having to disassemble the handle.
    I have an Echo SRM-2400 I would never part with.

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Echo srm 210 line 105 Extreme Titiaum 600 foot roll bought in 2003. Still have a lot line on spool cut anything but steel wire and concrete. You weed eat for 2 hours on tank gas and never have bump out new line this line is sqare other than round.

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Hi. I realize this strand is over 3 years old, but I have a problem with my Stihl FS50 weed trimmer. I bought it last summer and it has worked great up until last week. I won't stay running after it starts. I'm told by the dealer that I didn't put quality gas in it and I'd have to leave it for them to clean out the carborator. I'm using the same gas as last year so I didn't leave it there. I'm told by a friend that the air filter might need cleaning. My problem is, it requires a special tool to remove the casing. Any suggestions?

• yungman
    13 years ago

Unless you trim in very dusty area, one year is not too bad for the air filter and I doubt it's you problem. If you left gas in the tank over the winter, gas gone back and gummed up inside the carb.

If you have not sent it into the shop, you can try get some SeaFoam and mix 2 oz per gallon and run it. try pumping the throttle to keep it running. Might take a tankful of gas with SeaFoam to clean up the carb. That's the only thing I can suggest.

Sad part is dealer likely deny warranty on this also. In the future, put Stabil into gas so the gas will stay fresh longer.

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Thanks so much. I appreciate your help. I did not leave it at the shop because they would need to keep it for 2-3 weeks and I need to use it this weekend. I will try your suggestion if I can get it to start and run long enough to do so. SeaFoam is readily available or does it need to be ordered from somewhere? Yes, you are correct. The dealer did deny warranty. If I do get it to work, how often should I use Stabil?

• jeep461
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I always put stabil into the trimmer gas. It solves all the carb problems before they start. If I do have a rough running carburetor I mix Stabil 4 oz per gallon.

Seafoam never tried it on a 2 cycle. Make sure all old gas is dumped out 1st. Then prime it real good and let it sit. Reprime whenever you think about it. Then try starting as it may have loosened some of the varnish up.

I always had to rebuild carburetors before I started using stabil. Now as soon as I buy the gas for all my small engines I add stabil. May cost a little more but will save a whole lot of frustration when you need it to run.

Jim

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Thanks Jeep, I will give that a try today. Sure looks like the gas isn't flowing through because when I prime it, not much gas goes into the primer bubble as before. I would guess that would mean I might be on the right track with the gas having gummed up the carburetor.

• yungman
    13 years ago

If gas don't even get into the bulb, try remove the gas filter and see whether it improve or not. Now, make sure your gas is clean, with clean hand before you remove the gas filter. If you introduce dirt, you are done!!!

I got SeaFoam in Pepboy, Kragen etc. And yes, Stabil also, get the blue color one, supposed to be better than the red one.

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Yungman, thanks again for your advice. I have to admit that I am very inexperienced with these things. I am learning though. One problem I do have is that I don't have the special tool that is required to remove anything so I can check the gas filter or anything else. I might have gotten it when I bought the trimmer last year. I am still looking for it if I do have it. I doesn't take a regular key. It's a special shaped one.
    I had to go purchase some Sabil today after work but I couldn't find any SeaFoam at the store I was at. I will have to look for it elsewhere this weekend. Thanks again. I do appreciate any advice I can get.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Cora : Any Concentrated form of Gas Injector or Carb Cleaner will do ! Spray some in the Primer Circuit lines and if you have the technical expertise remove the jets also and spray some in there . If not just ensure you put some carb cleaner in the tank and mix up fresh gas/mix and you should be aok. Follow up with Yungmans advise long term within Seafoam and Stabil (Blue) You may have to search since I had to outsource myself since it was not available locally unfortunately.

• yungman
    13 years ago

I don't know about Stihl, they are funny in a lot of ways. Usually gas filter is at the end of the tube inside the gas tank. It is actually dangling inside to pick up gas. What you need is a wire coat hanger, bent it into a small hook, stick it inside the tank and fish it out. Make sure your hand is clean and dry. Remove the filter and put the tube back, prime a few times to see whether you get gas into the bulb. If yes, then just go buy another filter. Bring your old one along and I am sure you can get it in stores that sell lawn equipments. It is at the end of a tube, it does not matter what brand as long as it fit tightly on the tube. Make sure you don't loose the little clip that is on the tube, that is to hold the filter tight onto the tube. When you remove the filter, you just push the clip up the tube, don't take it out or you loose it. When put a new filter back, slip the clip back like the original filter.

If gas still don't go into the bulb, then you have to try what Jeep mentioned. Cross your finger that work. If not, then is time to open the carb!!!! Sad!!!.....Just kidding!!! Do that first then come back here.

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Hi, thanks for all the advice. I did get ethanol-free gas mixed it with the oil and put the Stabil and a bit of carburetor cleaner in it.

I have been priming it every now and then. I did actually start up a couple of times. The second time I ran the throttle. Lots of black smoke came out before it died.

Plus, more gas is now going into the primer bubble. So I will keep trying this throughout today. Ewalk, thanks for the advice, but it is mostly beyond me. Sorry. Like I said, I'm a rookie at this...and a female to boot, so I got those two things going against me as far as tool repair goes. But I'M LEARNING! Yes! Feel like I know alot more already. Yungman, I'm afraid to mess with that filter, although your instructions are real clear. I'll save that as a last resort.

Oh, and I did by the way, find that tool needed to remove parts. Turns out it was on the end of the spark plug puller I have. The guys at Tates Rents showed me that. I would have never thought.

• yungman
    13 years ago

If you can start it up and prime more gas, don't worry about the gas filter. Keep using the carb cleaner and run until it is smooth.

As long as it start and smoke, you have hope, just run it with carb cleaner it should smooth out sooner or later.

If all else fail, we'll talk more.

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Thanks a bunch. Is there a certain amount of carb cleaner I should put in? I just put a tiny bit. The breakdown on the bottle says 1/2 oz per gal and the tank holds so little, I didn't want to overdo it.

• yungman
    13 years ago

You can try this way:

1) Empty your tank of the trimmer.
    2) Put about 1oz of carb cleaner into the tank without and gas.
    3) Close the choke, prime the bulb 10 times to get the carb cleaner into the carb.
    4) Hold the throttle wide open by squeeze the trigger all the way.( use a tape to tape the trigger in full squeeze position will do).
    5) Pull the starter 10 times, the engine should not start.
    6) Empty the remaining carb cleaner out.
    7) Let it sit for 15 minutes to let the carb cleaner inside the carb to dissolve the gum.
    8)Prime all the remaining carb cleaner from the primer bulb back into the gas tank and dump it all out.
    9) Mix about 1 to 2 oz max of carb cleaner into one gallon of gas, put in 2.6oz of 2 cycle oil and mix well.
    10) Add into the trimmer.
    11) Prime the bulb 10 times, close the choke and without touching the trigger, pull start it.

It might be very hard to start. but you should eventually able to start it and let it smoke and run until it get smoother.

This is my suggestion, if anyone have a better way, please put in your input. Whole point is to put concentrated carb cleaner into the carb to disolve the gum and then burn it all out. Wait for others to comment on this then try it.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Cora , Yungman's advice is sound to me . A Trimmer less than a year old should be ok with it's filter unless you really put in some trash Fuel lol . Varnish and gum is most likely your issue . As previously advised , keep running it with the fuel treatment and follow up in the future with Yungman's recommendation of Stabil & Sea-foam etc. Your learning quick Girly :) All the Best !

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Thanks a bunch, Yungman. I will do this tomorrow. I understand all your instructions except #8. How is that done, please?

• yungman
    13 years ago

In order to empty the bulb, you have to position so the bulb face up, so when push, the gas exit at the bottom of the bulb back to the gas tank. empty the gas tank and repeat until the bulb is empty.

Engine would not start with carb cleaner. getting rid as much as possible all the cleaner will make it easier to start the engine. Even at that, you might find it hard to start, just have to be patient. You will start it eventually. After it start, keep throttling to keep it running and let it smoke.

If thing improve but still not quite there, you might want to do the whole thing one more time.

If you manage to fix it, make sure you use Stabil in the future.

• cora_2010
    13 years ago

Thank you. Will let you know how it goes.

• n_carolina_23_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have a Stihl FS36 with the Brushcutter head with the poly cutters. My problem is its14 years old and I inherited it from my late father in law. It runs and works great but the poly heads need replacing. I have 2 bags of individual poly cutters but can't get the nut off of the bottom to allow me to replace the cutters, can't get a bite on it with a socket or visegrips. Does it require a special tool? Do I have to take the whole head a part to change the poly heads?

• pigmy712
    13 years ago

I need to branch out and ask about attachments. I have had my own internal debate of Stihl vs Echo going (I will get one or the other) and had hopes you guys would solve it but you leave me hanging. I have a 2.5 acre lot on a hillside loaded with rocks and trees. All the rubber parts in the fuel system in the 10 year old Homelite trimmer went to mush and can't get parts. While looking at the trimmer websites I note that both Stihl and Echo offer a prunner attachement for some models. I am 73 and still climb ladders with the chain saw but now the wife restricts me to the electric. She says I am too old for that even but I am not. Anyway, the power prunner would be great as I need to trim low limbs so we can look down the hill at the creek and walk around without getting an eye poked out by a dead branch. The weeds and grass are growing up and since the Homelite has died they will soon meet the limbs and entirely block the view.

Any recommedations on Stihl vs Echo trimmers and the prunner attachment. The wife tells me that I am too old to use that even so don't go there. I can still do 15 push ups, set ups etc and use the trimmer with no strap all day.

As reference I use a 25 yr old Honda to mow the small grass area we keep for the dogs and a 16 inch Echo Chain saw that is 12 yrs old. I used the saw to clear the lot and still use it occasionally to cut fire wood. Both 2 cycle engines are always drained of fuel and run dry after each use and never failed to start quickly in warm weather but require a little work when it is cold. The fuel in the Honda 4cycle was never drained and failed to start only one year when moisture collected in the tank. It still starts on the first pull. The clutch on the Echo broke twice so gave up and just take care to stay clear of the blade - still spins slowly at idle. Minus one point for Echo.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Pig: Echo and Stihl both make very reliable Engines . As far as the attachments advice Yungman and CG have Yrs of experience with what Manufacturer or Model would be best suited to your needs . As far as Engines it's a Win / Win with Either Manufacturer . I have Friends that have both for over 10 Yrs and have no complaints. I have personally done routine maintenance on both and have no problems recommending either .

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Pig: Just my two cents for your application . Stihl FS-85 or Honda according to the Forum Experts appear to be the Class of the Field for long TERM Brushing and ease of Attachment Usage . I Hope Perhaps Mas or CG or Yung will Pitch in to assist you with your needs . I would suggest taking their Collective advice and then go to the respective Dealer and Try each Unit out . Sorry I cannot assist further but really work more on Chainsaws , just repair Friends Trimmers when ever they drop one off , don't really get into all the Bells and Whistles lol :) I have 5 Acres and understand your concerns a Reliable (long term) Trimmer / Cutter is Paramount .

• pigmy712
    13 years ago

Thanks guys. I went to the Honda webpage looked at the trimmers and they do not sell attachments other than cutting blades. I am backing off the Stihl 4 stroke because life is too short to waste taking a machine in for valve adjustments free or other wise when other engines don't require it. I don't have that many hours left on this earth to waste them. Never had any maintenance on the Honda mower other than oil, filters and plugs and just air filters and plugs on the Echo and Homelite 2 cycle engines. Stihl is still not out of the running if someone can give it a superior thumbs up on ease of attachment use vs Echo. Based on my 25 year plus experience with Honda I would buy the 4 stroke trimmer in a heartbeat if hey had what I want.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have Stihl and Echo machines. My characterization of the two is Stihl is aggressive and echo is milder. As a homeowner use I like Echo. Easier on the body.

If I am going to jump into something requiring extra power and speed I grab a Stihl.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Pig: By all mean go with what your comfortable with . Per my original post I have 1st hand knowledge of both the Stihl and Echo Engines , both extremely reliable for a 2-stroke design . Having said that 4-stroke technology is far more reliable long term . Quieter , more Eco friendly , but much more costly initially . Myself my next Trimmer shall be a Echo-225 since I don't need all the Bells & Whistles and rarely bushwack anymore . Its unfortunate that some of the more experienced forum members have not chimed in on the attachment availability Pro vs Cons . I agree with Jeep that Stihl has a Superior Commercial Grade Unit .

• arabela
    13 years ago

I have a SRM 230 and am completely satisfied with it's performance. It starts on one or two pulls, even when cold. It cuts through anything and everything. It is light and has little vibration. A 5 year warranty. I bought it at a JD dealer so I can take there if it needs work. I would never buy a trimmer at Home Depot or Lowes. Stihl is over rated, Echo makes just as good a product or better. There are several lawn care companies in my area and I noticed they all use ECHO not Stihl.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

An Old Thread Dude ! But I'am with you on the Merits of Echo . When my Old Weed-Eater bites the dust Echo is my next trimmer !

• pvel
    12 years ago

Reviving an old thread...
    I am looking to get a string trimmer for my 3/4 acre lot. Like the reviews of the Echo SRM 225. Does this model allow you to attach an edger? If not is there a different one I should look for that can attach an edger. Do the edgers that attach to string trimmers do a good job? Thanks. I have till this weekend to make a decision.

• smh_tcq_net
    12 years ago

I am tired of cheap lawn trimmers and need a new, reliable one. I also need an electric start. Any suggestions and a model please.

• tallguy
    12 years ago

If you are looking for electric start on a trimmer then you are pretty much limited to electric trimmers. Stihl has a really nice corded model, FSE60 I believe. I had a Craftsman cordless rechargeable a while back. Decent power and no cord to contend with but the battery was not easily replaceable and the cost to send it in made no sense so when it died it went to the curb.

• JuneGilbreath
    10 years ago

I bought an Echo gas trimmer 3 years ago with a 5 year warranty. It hasn't worked correctly since day 1. Every year I take it to deal to be serviced. They give it back and say it is ready to go. The most it has worked is 2 times in one year. I voiced my complaints to service dealer much stronger this time. They could not fix it but say Echo will not honor the warranty now - something about fuel lines. Are fuel lines excluded from warranties? I do not recommend Echo trimmers for anyone and the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on. Think I will go buy a Stihl now. June

• mbkc8prz
    9 years ago

I am kc8prz (ham call), Mikey. I have been around a long time and I am currently retired thru disability. So hello everyone. Thought I would give my two cents worth on the new Hitachi trimmer, as also found, part for part identical to it's brethern Tanaka. This would be the Hitachi (Deluxe) CG22EASSLP straight shaft grass trimmer with an extra long 60 in. solid steel drive shaft and an anti-vibration system we are to talk about.

This is about my 20th trimmer to date with a handful of them being gas. To start with, and get it out of the way, the trimmer is done in a stinky ass, sick looking, slightly grayish tinted, green with gray, black and orange accents on various parts. John Deere looks good in green and Weedeater does green real well too. But this is a very sad shade of green. This shade of green would need lots of vitamines and a psycodilic acid trip to improve it's image. Enough!

Now the good stuff.. I tried to find as many of the starting lineup trimmers that the various companies offered and did extensive research on each. Some of the outstanding things about this Hitachi are it's industry leading 7 year warranty for consumers. Also a solid steel drive shaft with a lifetime warranty, as with a lifetime warranty on it's solid state ignition system, according to the service reps I talked to in this area. Shoot me if I misquote something that was told to me. It comes with a special "EASY pull assist" to crank it over and at no added cost to get it that way as was not the case with the Echo trimmer @ $50 dollars extra. Also, I think, it has a Walbro carb on an industrial rated motor. I weighted mine at a hair under 10 lbs. with fuel (outstanding).

My stature is small so weight, size, and balance were very important to me having 12 bad disc's in my spine. I found the trimmer to be lite in operation and well balanced. The 21.1cc rating is a fooler as the unit has gobs of power. I bought the Tanaka manual feed head and tried some Hitachi .095, some Oregon with the arimid fiber in it at .118, and some Oregon Max at .130, all being round. All performed very well and lasted a long time. My propritary 2 cycle fuel mix is a one third Lucas, two thirds Sthil Ultra (was what I had left laying around) at 32 to 1 ratio. Plus some Lucas ethenol helper and the standard StaBil. The Hitachi liked it a lot. Unintentionally thrown together but it seams to work real well with no smoke.. This unit is a high reving HOT little monster so I made sure it had a little heaver oil ratio w/silicone and 93 gas grade octane. Dealing with Cincinnati "Summer blend" gas here, UGH!. The Hitachi whipped and hacked it's way through everything without a sweat.

Modifications?? Well I did order a mid shaft Echo handle (new) for $12 online. The Echo handle is covered with a cushier grip surface than the hard plastic the Hitachi has. I did find the unit running very well balanced but hardly perfect though better than most. A bit better than average noise level. Lots of torque reminding me of the days of the old 1968 Plymouth Hemi Roadrunner. Above average gas mileage and ultra easy effort to start only needing one pull. For me and my ergonomic fitup puts the off/on switch in a bad location. I bumpted it to "off" a couple of times.. Uh, pardon me if I made it sound like the trimmer is just for little frail people because it's not, it's for everybody. A large commercial Lawn Care service could do a lot worse with many other "so called" commercial/profesional products then owning a bunch of these Hitachi (Deluxe) CG22EASSLP's.. To note, I also own a Gravly Zero Turn mower Im nuts about. A very durable, well thought out and built mower.

So in conclusion, The Hitachi is easy to drive with lots of power. The unit is well designed, heavy duty, lite weight, ugly, and overall well built. I am very very impressed. I bought this online for $189 at Home Depravation,.....ah (Depot). This thread is getting long in the tooth otherwise I would tell you what I diden't like about all the others. Let me know if you want that.

Also, one more thing I want your comments and opinion on. I bought this from Amazon today.
    $38.78 Only 16 left in stoc Arnold Extreme WLX-3105 Professional Grade String Trimmer Line .105-Inch x 660-Feet .. order soon. FREE Shipping too.
    Delivers the durability and performance the professional landscaper demands
    Cuts nine times more area than residential lines
    Tough enough for edging and cutting through think vegetation
    One reviewer wrote the following:
    I've only used this line a few times so far but it's incredible compared to the line that came with my string trimmer (Husqvarna titanium). I rarely have to bump the head for more string even when going through very heavy grass and thick weeds. I was even able to take care of small wild rose bushes (Word of warning. This string is incredibly hard and durable. This can be dangerous around trees with soft bark or otherwise, fence posts, etc. Don't go anywhere near vinyl siding. If you can keep a trimmer head loaded with the softer stuff for delicate areas. If not just be extremely careful.
    Updated: I had the opportunity to try some edging with this string on a Husqvarna 327ldx. It worked amazingly well. My word of warning should be extended to include brick! I have a brick lined garden and found this string will actually chip brick. I don't mean it will abrade it, it chips it. I tilted the string to the soil and just edged the garden to the ground making sure not to hit the brick after the first instance. Edging the sidewalk was super quick and long overdue. Awesome string.
    Whatdoyathink about deal and line type and quality?.....Thanks to all, Mike.