Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve3833

old Montgomery Ward tiller Model GIL 39032 D

steve3833
17 years ago

Does anyone have a manual or know the proper configuration to re-install the drive belt on this tiller to get both forward and reverse to work? For that matter what the right size replacement belt would be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve in Dallas

Comments (15)

• slag
    17 years ago

I have a 39002 B tiller that might be similar. If its like mine, the lower unit has a pulley on top that has a rubber ring around it. When put in forward gear, the motor moves forward on its mount and a direct connection is made between the pulley on the bottom of the engine and the rubber bumper on the tine pulley which drives the "drive unit".

When its put in reverse, the engine is moved backwards and the belt is tightened around the rubber pulley and the pulley on the engine and reverse is engaged. If its like mine, reverse has to be held in place to work.

• garyg6167
    16 years ago

Hi Steve in Dallas,
    I as you have the GIL 39032 D tiller. My does run and I would happy to send you a picture of my belt configuration. I need to replace my belts and I need to know the correct belts to purchase. Its been in the shop, and the belts were replaced to make it run. I just want to install the correct belts. Did you ever find a manual yet?
    Let me know if you want a picture.

Gary

• shelbyscott
    16 years ago

GIL stands for Gilson Brothers they are the dinosars that
    refuse to die if you have a gilson hang onto it because
    it will be a collectors item sooner than not awesome machines!!

• reson2
    16 years ago

I had an old Gilson (Monkey Ward) tiller, reverse rotating tines I remember, there was something I had to modify to make it work right, I don't remember if it was because of wear or design, or an adjustment that just didn't work, I made a new piece and last I heard it was stiff digging, wish I could help more. My advise is to look at it real carefully and not to assume it will just work right with new belts.
    R

• morse
    15 years ago

I have a 2 pg parts list and diagram. Will forward if interested.

• tilman02
    15 years ago

Came across a Gilson tiller last October. It has a 5hp B&S motor. Had some surface rust and loose bolts; but evarything works good..motor is strong and frame is good shape, gear box no cracks or leaks. Cleaned out gas tank, replaced carb. parts and key for flywheel, replaced fast idle screw, Wheels are great except for surface rust on metal parts..tread on tires are good shape..tines are worn. Can't find replacements..any info would be great. According to the motor code, it was built in 1971.

• tilman02
    15 years ago

Where can I find replacement tines for Gilson 1971 tiller?

• johnnycurl
    15 years ago

I have a gil 39032 d and I would like to know how to check and add fluid to the differentials for the tines and for the wheels.

• tilman02
    15 years ago

Do your parts list show part numbers for tiller tines?

• tilman02
    15 years ago

Do your parts list show part numbers for tiller tines?

• morse
    15 years ago

sent email 'mlhintz@aol.com' if you want parts list forwarded

• gr8tolook
    13 years ago

Need parts and repair manual (owner manual) for this tiller. Anyone have one I could buy or pay for copies and mailing? I know this is a shot in the dark but would be really appreciated. (gr8tolook@yahoo.com)

• grmann44
    13 years ago

I need the belt size and installed configuration for the tiller. I purchased a 44" x 3/8" standard V belt, but it is not istalled correctly. When I place it in forward position, nothing tightens on the driver belt.

grmann@yahoo.com
    thanks

• Tony Varnado
    8 years ago

i have an old montgomery ward front tine tiller,,,,on which the original pull start was changed,,, numbers stamped on the motor are,,, 5347 4700 6310950,,,, it is a dynamark 5.0..... i need help finding a replacement motor,,,,bogatiger@yahoo.com

• HU-252685101
    last year

Does the carburetor lift out of the gas tank?