Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to look for in a tiller?

Posted by weenerdogg Zone 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 1:12

I moved in with my dad last year and much to my dismay his beautiful St. Augustine lawn had been overrun by weeds. Henbit, dandelions, thistle (badly), you name it. So I am wanting to make it nice again. I would like to amend it before replanting. Here is the problem. We have black clay soil. My understanding is that I would need to till in compost. Here is my issue. I spoke to my dad about renting vs. buying a tiller and he seemed to feel like I wouldn't be able to operate one. We really don't have the funds to pay someone to do it so what are my options. Is there one that is easier to control? I need it to break through bermuda rhizomes and runners and break up black clay? I am a 13-something lb woman of the female persuasion, should I even consider doing this myself? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to look for in a tiller?

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 12:09

Investigate renting a tiller, rear tine preferable and see how much it would cost. While talking to the rental folks, tell them what you want to do with it and see what they say. If the cost is "doable" all tillers I've seen have a depth adjustment (stake) which you would then use at shallow and then increasing depths. You will have to do a lot of raking and picking up of roots, etc.

Also, a key intput in this equation is how big is the lawn? A small city lot, or acres? Obvioiusly that would be a key factor in the cost.

At the risk of being shot, have you considered using a chemical like "weed and feed" fertilize? Follow the instructions and that will get rid of a lot of the broad leaf varieties. You might have to rent a spreader. Once the weeds are under control, the fertilize portion will stimulate the remaining grass to assert itself. Assuming that you have some remaining grass.

Good luck,

Ev

o
RE: What to look for in a tiller?

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 22:17

Tilling your lawn might not be necessary. Ev's suggestion of a "weed and feed" might be all you need. You might want to buy a spreader so you could make repeated applications yourself. The size of your lawn could determine your best course of action. And whether it is flat or sloped or rolling.

Or you might want to make inquiries with a local lawn service. Many of them will take over the maintenance of your lawn for a fee. Make sure they have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here