Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigcam420

Homelite XL Chainsaw

bigcam420
14 years ago

Hello everyone! I am from Alberta, Canada and I am new to to the chainsaw fixing world. I have been in the dark and had somebody repair my stuff for too long now. I can fix minor problems, but I'm now having problems with a newly acquired used older Homelite XL Automatic Chainsaw.

I have no markings on the saw except for the one decal that says Homelite XL Automatic. What do I look for in order to determine what year is this from, and the UT#?

How do I determine what parts are accessable for me to get it running?

I've been told that I possibly need a new clutch, but I am in need of the manual and I don't know what the UT# of the saw is, or any part numbers.

I would appreciate some help in some direction on where to start.

I'm sure I don't sound too smart to all of you chainsaw masters out there, but I want to learn what I can, and get started to make this chainsaw work for me.

Thanks again everyone!

BigCam.

Comments (21)

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Hey Dude Welcome to the Site . Lots of High Tech Dudes on board. Review the Saw Threads Homelite XL saws have been discussed at length c/w pictures with numerous problems solved . Check your saw for a Serial and Model Number which should be on a metal Tag affixed to the Engine Casing . If not at least the Colour would assist , since this narrows down the vintage some what. I know others on the site will forward Operating Manual info once they see your request .
    Great Site with a lot of Info Cam .

• bigcam420
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, ewalk. I have been reading everything I can on the XL and have found A LOT of really good info here.
    It's weird, I seem to suddenly have OCD about my newly acquired Homelite. I love a challenge and I feel great confidence knowing this site will be able to help.
    First point, the XL is orange, not blue, so it's from after 1970? It has no metal tags anywhere so I can't find a UT or Serial number.
    I will try to get some pictures on asap so people can see what it is I have.

• masiman
    14 years ago

I'd check out the ArboristSite Chainsaw Forum too. ALOT of chainsaw info there from folks that only talk about chainsaws.

• canguy
    14 years ago

Is your saw orange with a green air filter cover? If so, it is from the early 60's. Later the colour changed to blue and white then red around 1970. NOS parts are almost non existent. Check farm sales, auctions, and flea markets for similar saws. That was a very popular unit with farmers.
    Do you have a chainsaw dealer in your area that has been in business a long time? Those guys tend to accumulate a lot of old saws and parts, just never get around to cleaning house. House of Saws in Calgary might be a place to start.

• bigcam420
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's red, not orange. Sorry for the confusion. House of saws is a bit too far for me. I'm by Rocky Mountaion House. When I asked my local dealer he informed me that he has nothing for older homelites. Ebay and the rest of the internet will have to do!

• ewalk
    14 years ago

Good Luck Cam ! Keep Posting Dude !

• bigcam420
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My XL is in need of an overhaul, other than new fuel lines what else should I replace first? I want to order everything at once. I'm not going to really use it for a while. It does try to turn over, but a quick look inside tells me that everything needs to be cleaned out properly. This saw definately sat for a while.

I can also see that I need to replace the drive sprocket, the chain has eaten its way through. What is the main cause for this? I'm not used to any problems like that. I've only been running new Stihl and Husqvarna stuff and the repairs I've had to make have been very simple and quick.

• canguy
    14 years ago

Remove the muffler and have a peak at the piston and cylinder. If they look galled or scored, forget about it. At the very least you would need to disassemble and clean the carburetor thoroughly taking note as you lay the parts out how it goes back together. I spray them with carb and choke cleaner. Then install an overhaul kit. Replace the fuel line and in tank filter, the latter can be fished out through the filler.
    The sprocket is worn out and needs to be replaced. If yours has the smaller 3/8" bore nobody makes it anymore.I believe Oregon still has the newer version with the 5/8". Bars and chain are also available from Oregon but other than the carb kit, parts are pretty much nla.

• bigcam420
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I played around a bit today and I finally got the XL running. I'll still do the carb and lines soon. Can't test it under power until I find a new sprocket. I'm trying to find a 3/8" bore somewhere so I can keep using the large number of bars and chains that came with the saw.

Can the year of manufacture or UT# be determined by the title "Homelite XL Automatic" that is on the side decal? I've seen others that are almost the same but with "Homelite XL Automatic Oiling" on it instead.

• lemon74
    14 years ago

Hello Gurus,
    My questions is, does any body know what the adjustments are supposed to be on a Homelite XL automatic carb? I cant find a manual.

• ewalk
    14 years ago

No Guru But Start at 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns on the low and high speed jets . Should put you in the ball park , a little fine tuning and you be ready for cutting , let us know how you make out and Welcome Aboard !

• glen230
    13 years ago

My good neighbor gave me a a homelite xl 12 chainsaw. It appears the saw hasn't been used much. When it was given to me, the starter rope could not be pulled. The flywheel would hang on something. Finally saw a bolt has worked loose and was catching the flywheel. Popped the flywheel off and tightened the bolt.
    The compression is very good. I do need to replace the gas line for sure. I'm not getting any fire to the spark plug. NOt sure if its the coil or points and condensor. Any advice on this????
    Plus, how do i get to the points. sorry, just couldn't figure it out.
    Thanks,
    glen

• jdfuzz
    11 years ago

Hi, I have a homelite xl automatic oiler and it is burning bar oil.. How can I fix it ?

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

jdfuzz, Burning bar oil? Please explain more specifics. Could it be that your chain is too tight or too dull causing the bar to get hot?

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

glen230 , Does Homelite XL Automatic Chainsaw have points vs electronic ignition? Points are showing at the link below. The points would be mounted under the flywheel in the magneto system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-XL12-Super-XL-Automatic-Chainsaw-Parts-Cylinder-Points-Clutch-Carb-Wire-/121024262525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item1c2d9bb17d#ht_546wt_884

• m21bmr
    11 years ago

Quote from jdfuzz:
    "Hi, I have a homelite xl automatic oiler and it is burning bar oil.. How can I fix it ? "

Response:
    jdfuzz, there are alot of variations of Homelite xl automatic chainsaws. Some of which are small saws that have diaphragm sytle oilers that are driven with crankcase pressure. If this is the type of oiling system on your saw, a damaged diaphragm can be a way for bar oil to be pulled into the crankcase and burned. What is the model number of your saw?

• RobertG.Charland
    10 years ago

I also have an old Homelite chainsaw. it's a XL Textron. It's red so that narrows it down for me a bit according to a previous post. From the "70's". Still made good stuff back then. It's got a sixteen inch bar and automatic oiling but that's the problem, it's not getting oil to the chain. Does anyone have a model number for this. The tag with the model number is unreadable so I can't even begin to find a manual. Is there a pump that squirts out the oil? It's too bad because the motor runs good. People tell me it is a good one. I also need new gaskets for the two fill caps.

• RobertG.Charland
    10 years ago

I also have an old Homelite chainsaw. it's a XL Textron. It's red so that narrows it down for me a bit according to a previous post. From the "70's". Still made good stuff back then. It's got a sixteen inch bar and automatic oiling but that's the problem, it's not getting oil to the chain. Does anyone have a model number for this. The tag with the model number is unreadable so I can't even begin to find a manual. Is there a pump that squirts out the oil? It's too bad because the motor runs good. People tell me it is a good one. I also need new gaskets for the two fill caps.

{{!gwi}}

• ryanq
    9 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and I to am working on an older homelite xl and I'm trying to remember where the two oil lines from the tank go. Which one goes where. Thanks for any help

• billw
    9 years ago

The short line is the pressure line while the longer (w/strainer) delivers the oil to the bar via a check valve(internal).

Bill
    785-562-3539
    SERVICING HOMELITE FOR OVER 50 YEARS