Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best gloves to prevent blisters?

Posted by onward-upward (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 3:13

I was using a garden hoe today with some basic all leather gloves and tonight I find some blisters on the inside of my thumbs (ouch). At times I encountered some roots and brought my tool from the top down to cut the roots. A motion like those contests where those loggermen compete to see which one can cut a log in half faster.

My palms are blister free though. The blisters popped during my working, though.

What kind of gloves do those guys use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best gloves to prevent blisters?

Was the gloves loose on your hands?.

o

Yes. They were loose.

o

Blisters are caused by rubbing. I think a tighter fitting glove would help some. Or you could try some things that hikers do for their feet:

1) Wear a liner glove. The liner glove should fit snuggly and be slippery. The outer glove will slide along the surface of the liner and reduce the friction and rubbing on your skin

2) Apply moleskin before or when a hotspot appears. Moleskin does pretty much the same thing as a liner but can be used over multiple days and selectively applied. That fuzzy outer surface provides a slick layer to that the outer layer can slide instead of grabbing the skin

3) Change your hand position so that your thumb does not wrap around opposing your fingers. Wrap your thumb in the same direction as your fingers around the tool whenever possible. This will reduce the amount of rubbing you get from the handle.

o

Thanks. I never heard of using a liner glove. What fabric should the liner glove be?

Also, if I go with a tight fitting glove only. What fabric?

o

Pop in thin liner glove in Google and plenty of them pop up.

For me the liner sounds too bulky of a solution. If I were doing it, I'd try the grip mod and moleskin solutions before the liner glove.

I get blisters in the same spot every spring. I have a couple digging jobs and I feel a little burn but I don't stop to take care of it. They rip every time and I tell myself I'll be more aware next time. 20 years on and I'm still getting the same blisters :).

o

Onward : As Mas has indicated a tighter fitting Glove will reduce the chance of friction causing you your sore hands. I have used snug fitting leather gloves with a light thinsulate lining which allows air circulation to reduce sweating but also allow some movement between the leather and inner lining as Mas has recommended. I replace these gloves every 3-5 yrs since I routinely use them while splitting and cutting wood .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here