Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocko

McCulloch Whipper Snipper Won't Start

chocko
10 years ago

Hello all,

I've just joined these forums and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

A friend of mine recently gave me his McCulloch whipper snipper (I'm not sure if that's what they're called outside of Australia) to have a look at because it now won't start for him.

What happened was that he was using it and noticed that the engine revs had started to increase. He finished the job and shut the machine off and then when he went to restart it it wouldn't start.

He has since replaced the spark plug and both fuel lines running to the carby including the pick up/filter in the fuel tank.

Spark and compression seem to be OK because if I pour a little fuel down the throat of the carb it fires up briefly. The carby is a Walbro WT312.

I've since bought a gasket kit for it and removed the metering diaphragm cover and diaphragm, the fuel pump cover and reed valve/gasket and also removed both metering screws. I then cleaned it all out with contact cleaner and re-assembled it with a new diaphragm and gasket and new reed valve/gasket (it looks a bit like a reed valve to me) from the gasket kit.

I then refitted the carby but it still won't start. I'm setting both high and low screws about 1 and 3/4 turns out initially.

I had read that the check valve in the fuel tank cap can become blocked and not allow air in, I've since tried to start it with the cap off but no luck.

When I pull the carby down there is fuel in the fuel pump but it doesn't seem to be getting past the metering screws and into the throat of the carby.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)