Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
McCulloch Whipper Snipper Won't Start

Posted by Chocko none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 5:31

Hello all,

I've just joined these forums and I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

A friend of mine recently gave me his McCulloch whipper snipper (I'm not sure if that's what they're called outside of Australia) to have a look at because it now won't start for him.

What happened was that he was using it and noticed that the engine revs had started to increase. He finished the job and shut the machine off and then when he went to restart it it wouldn't start.

He has since replaced the spark plug and both fuel lines running to the carby including the pick up/filter in the fuel tank.

Spark and compression seem to be OK because if I pour a little fuel down the throat of the carb it fires up briefly. The carby is a Walbro WT312.

I've since bought a gasket kit for it and removed the metering diaphragm cover and diaphragm, the fuel pump cover and reed valve/gasket and also removed both metering screws. I then cleaned it all out with contact cleaner and re-assembled it with a new diaphragm and gasket and new reed valve/gasket (it looks a bit like a reed valve to me) from the gasket kit.

I then refitted the carby but it still won't start. I'm setting both high and low screws about 1 and 3/4 turns out initially.

I had read that the check valve in the fuel tank cap can become blocked and not allow air in, I've since tried to start it with the cap off but no luck.

When I pull the carby down there is fuel in the fuel pump but it doesn't seem to be getting past the metering screws and into the throat of the carby.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: McCulloch Whipper Snipper Won't Start

1. Did you remove and cln both metering screws ports with fine wire and carb cleaner?
2. Try starting with metering/adjustment screws a ¾ or 1” from a light seat.
3. Did you see and cln a small fuel screen inside carb?
4. Was eng stored with untreated fuel? Add 2 oz of carb cleaner to fresh fuel ant try.
5. Trying to start, could be a good sign that more cleaning or fine tuning is needed.
6. Pull muffler, inspt cyl/piston/ring for scratches, free ring, no carbon, cln spark arest.

Good Luck! Please share your results.

o

Hi loger, thanks for your email.

I've worked through your list but to no avail.

I cleaned the carby out again paying particular attention to the metering screw ports and the mesh fuel filter.

I took the muffler off and had a look at what I could see of the piston through the exhaust port. The piston looked nice and shiny, the ring seemed free when I poked it with a screwdriver.

When I mentioned in my original post that it was trying to start that was after I had squirted some fuel directly into the throat of the carby, unfortunately it doesn't seem to want to fire at all without doing that.

Given that the engine was starting to rev higher the last time it ran I'm thinking of an air leak causing it to run lean but I can't figure out where that leak could be. My friend is starting to feel bad about how much time I've spent on it given that you can buy a brand new one for a couple of hundred dollars here but I'd really like to get it going just so I know it didn't beat me!

Thanks again for your help.

o

1. Prime it manually in the plug’s hole w/fuel/mix, (1 tsp or less not to flood it.
2. Is the primer bulb pumping up hard and showing fuel?
3. Are all fuel line connections extremely tight to ensure “Air Tight”?
4. Were any lines deteriorated enough to leave a small piece in the carb?
5. Did you run fine wire or carb cleaner through both mixture screw ports to verify opened?
6. Have you soaked the bare carb W/all parts off/out) for 8 hrs in carb cleaner (if needed)?
7. Have you ck the compression with a gauge (100 psi or not able to hold it in with a finger)?
8. Approx yrs X hrs of use X grade/quality of the unit (low/med/com quality)
9. Please post a Pic or link to a pic like your McCulloch whipper snipper.
10. Do you have a friend that is qualified to spot ck what could be missing?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here