Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adjusting Zama carburetor

Posted by higgledy 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 8:43

Through my own stupidity and ethanol my Mantis's carb needed to be replaced. I've never repaired or even touched a carburetor before, but I've always wanted to learn.

I replaced the carb, fuel line, spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, and old fuel. I also rinsed the tank with gas before adding fresh 50:1 fuel mixture with Starbrite.

Long story short, I hear a wincing noise when I prime the bulb. It does not sound like air sucking noise. I don't ever remember hearing that kind of noise when priming, but then I'm always outside when starting an engine with lots of competing noises to drown out the priming noise. Is this normal? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adjusting Zama carburetor

1. Adjusting a Zama Carb Youtub at the address below.
2. Are you sure you have the fuel lines connected correct?
3. Will it start and run as it is? Switch fuel lines at the carb if needed.
4. Search Zama fuel line connections if needed (below is one and there are others).

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Adjusting+Zama+carburetor+youtube&ei=utf-8&fr=att-ie8

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=+Zama+fuel+line+connections+&ei=utf-8&fr=att-ie8

o

It was 21° this morning and it did start but just for a couple of seconds. I did adjust the H L screws per a tech guide off Zama's site. I had to get to work so could not mess with it more. I did bring it into my basement so it will be warmer tonite. I bet it will start tonite and then I can make final adjustments as long as the weezing noise is nothing.

o

It was 21° this morning and it did start but just for a couple of seconds. I did adjust the H L screws per a tech guide off Zama's site. I had to get to work so could not mess with it more. I did bring it into my basement so it will be warmer tonite. I bet it will start tonite and then I can make final adjustments as long as the weezing noise is nothing.

I do wonder if they gave me the correct fuel line cuz the I.D. Seems narrower on the new than the old. But the old could be stretched.

o

1. I have not paid much attention if I hear a noise related to priming. With the pumping and flow of fuel I can visualize some noise.
2. At the fuel line connection address, it shows the bulb is pushing fuel back into the tank.
3. You might disconnect that line or open the tank to see if the noise is reduced without resistance.

Here is a link that might be useful: fuel line connections

o

It started easily tonite. I adjust the idle screw and then the high rev screw. It idled for at least five minutes without issue and then it ran at full throttle without issue. I the stopped and started it with no problems, of course it was warmed up but still it ran better than ever. Thanks for the help.

o

Good follow-up, Thanks! I wonder if the temp “on the end” and possibly some moisture in your fuel was an issue? We got close to 80 if not in North TX today. This makes a difference with ethanol in our fuel (vs frozen moisture in it or moisture period). Have a good season!

o

I was impressed with the Zama carb. It was designed for idiot proof assembly. I set both jets 1 1/2 turns out and adjusted them after it warmed up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here