Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
famejoed

Storage Shed / Barn Question

FameJoeD
13 years ago

I have been trying to decide what to do for a storage shed or barn for all of my tools and tractor. I am not very handy at building nor do I really feel like going through the trouble. I know there are ads on craigslist that have people that will build 8x10's for around a grand, but I am worried that some of the work either will not be done correctly, low quality, or maybe not even finished at all! What I wanted to know is if anyone has hired out on craigslist and have they had luck? Is it not to big of a build that most people could do it properly and have it last a long time? There is a company by my house that sells pre manufactured built to order barns that I guess the Amish build and seem pretty nice. I was looking at their basic painted barn on their website and it looked pretty nice but I don't really understand if the specs are good or bad. They have them on their main page of cedarrockbarns.com if anyone knows anything about them or wants to look at the painted barn and tell me if it is a pretty good deal I would greatly appreciate it. I guess they have a rent to own program and I think that may be the way I want to go just so I can have some time to pay for it.

any help is great! Thank You

Comments (7)

• FameJoeD
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the one I was looking at

Here is a link that might be useful: painted barn

• ewalk
    13 years ago

F: The Baby Barn pictured are quite good offer xtra storage via loft area possibilities . The pricing seems fair . I built a 10'x 12' (Harley Garage) c/w with 6 " cement pad and 6" footer for around $1,200.00 from scratch . We prefab-ed the Roof Trusses and hand mix & poured the cement foundation . That was over 15 yrs ago so pricing is not relevant . Have your local Consumer Relations board assist with validating the Integrity of your Business of choice. Even local Chamber of Commerce can help with such information . On paper the units look feasible .

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

These well built but in side not finished studs outside walls mind 12x32 roof vent Loft runs length building all treaded wood. Remember what every get get to small shortly.

Here is a link that might be useful: portable buildings

• rustyj14
    13 years ago

Yes, what Gator rider said: build it bigger than you think you will need! Those sheds tend to shrink whenever you put the first piece of equipment into them, and first thing--you'll be wondering why ya didn't build it twice as large! BT,DT!

• slowpoke_gardener
    13 years ago

I will have to go with building it larger also. I started a 24x24 pole barn 2 years ago. before I got all the post set I decided to go for a 24x40, its not 2 years old yet and I am planning on adding on. You wont believe all the junk that can find its way into your storage shed. Larry

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    13 years ago

If all you're looking at is 8 X 10, consider a metal storage building, Sears has then on sale fairly often and they'll last a while. When you've done that and discover it's too small, give it to the kids for their bikes and things and build something BIG enough. My brother put up a 10 X 12 Sears building about 10 years ago and it's still viable. You can do the work yourself if you can use a Phillips head screwdriver and have another pair of hands available.

My barn is 24 x 40 and gets snug.

Ev

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Fame: All good imput from various points of view. I agree if it is going to be a long term investment (only Structure)
    ensure adequate sizing for a small lawn tractor and some tolls chainsaw , lawnmower etc. 12'x12' would be minimum.
    I like exmar's recommendation also for a do it yourself project that even you with your wife could do for quite a $ savings for your lawn tractor and a few tools . Sorry I can't help you with craigslist info . If you are going local word of mouth usually gets you a reliable Handy Man for a from scratch Baby Barn Installation . All the Best Bro :)