Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large Occasional Use Chainsaw

Posted by ratltrap Alaska (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 9:52

I fell and buck several spruce & hemlock trees up to 40" DBH off my woodlots every year to get 6 to 7 cords of winter firewood. Over the years I've been through a Husky 90 and a Stihl 066s with a pair of 028 Supers w/ 24" bars for limbing and light bucking. Right now I'm using an 044 that is on it's last legs and the 028s are both strong. I like the weight of the 044 and as I get older and I don't really want to drop a grand for a big heavy pro saw that I may only use for a few more years. I want something light and economical that will also drive a 24" bar.

Anything out there that would fill that order for half the bill? I'm thinking Husky 359 or 357xp or maybe a Shindaiwa 757. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large Occasional Use Chainsaw

Doing trees that large you are right to want a 24" bar or larger. If I were recommending a saw to handle that size bar I would go with an 80cc size engine or larger, which you have done in the past. To really pull a chain that long you'll want some horsepower, and for that you need displacement. You could do it with a smaller engine but it will be much slower and harder on the saw overall. I don't know if you'll be less tired hoisting less weight for longer or more weight for a shorter period.

The part that I wonder about is why you are going through so many saws. The Husky and Stihls should have lasted you quite a bit especially if you are only doing 6-7 cords a year. Check out how you are running the saws to see if you can change something to have them last longer.

Husky 359 is 59cc
Husky 357XP is 56.5cc

Shindaiwa 757 is 73.5cc

Based on he engine sizes I would go with the Shinny. I have never run a Shinny but I think I have read they are a decent saw.

Dolmar/Makita makes a 7900/7901 that is a very nice saw. Another one to consider. They do not have the best parts support but their support is better than Shinny. But then again I have never had need to look for Shinny parts, I've just not seen them advertised.

You might be better off sticking with what local dealer support you have. Husky and Stihl are likely your best bets from that perspective.

o

By far you best bang for for the buck is going to be the Makits DCS6401. Goes for $500 new from Bailys. Takes up to a 28/32 inch bar, and has optional big bore kit to convert it to a monster. Cannot go wrong, this is German stuff.

o

The most I run on the 6401 is a 20", although if you treat it gentle or are cutting softwood you could go with a 24. I think you'd really want the 80cc version (7900/7901) to run a 28"+ bar. It is one of the best deals out there for a mid/large saw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here