Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gudde

Please Help identify old Troy-bilt tiller

gudde
17 years ago

I just bought an old Troy-bilt rear-tine tiller. The previous owner indicated he bought it new in 1981. HH60 105115H 2054D

is stamped into the engine cover. "Garden-way TH-1019" is cast into a casting near where the handles bolt onto the frame".

What model of tiller is this? What are some good references to buy a manual, carburator and parts. Thanks in advance for your comments...

John.

Comments (71)

• sit38
    13 years ago

hello all,
    i was hoping sombody could help me identify a older troy bilt tiller i cant seem to find a modle number on it but here are some of the numbers and a description of what i did find...below the oil fill for trans plug looks like either 6 or 8 30 71 on other side of trans cae on top corner there is a th 10 with the letter h under it..the engine on this unit is what i need to replace its a tecumseh hh60 10579e ..it looks like it has 2 belts on a 2/3 stack pulley and unit has 2 levers first one reverse neutral (tines) foward and the second lever high speed neutral (wheels) low speed...any help would be apprieciated thanks

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Model number 1 what used for years years /3 pulley means your most likely built in 1970's early part when went to 4 speed was different pulley. Look above right hand tire on transmission case top on that side see number under paint rust flat machined off place machining part of top cover mounting surface.

• gebkcb_charter_net
    13 years ago

I have inherited a Troy-Bilt Tiller Pony MOdel # P88206 Engine Model # 130292 Type 1139-01. It is a 1981 Model yr. It has been sitting in storage about 12 yrs. When i went to open the gas tank lik it just twisted off and there was some milky looking substance in the tank . i guess old gas. A new gas tank cost $90.00 and plugs , new oil etc $30.00. Then i don't know if it would even start. Does anyone think it would be worth trying to get it fixed? please advise. thank you. George

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Go to Harbor Freight look at Greyhound engine it be 6.5 horse take the measuring with you mount pattern shaft from old engine if same good last price I saw was 129.00. This give new tank engine carb plug starter it'll take care all engine problem if fit I no it fit Horse model. don't weary about over power is not problem on pony.

• joeurda
    13 years ago

My very old TB tiller is giving up the ghost. It's a horse Model 42402 probably from the early 70's. I've replaced the tines, wheel packings, belts and reverse disk. Now it's time for the engine.

The #'s that I find on the engine are KH60-1050790, SN: 0160-16009.

There's a TH-7079 on the front of the tiller.

The engine will not stay running. It races like it's going to blow up. Over the years it's been in the shop for adjusting and now I have decided that I have had enough of it and I'm replacing the engine.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the correct replacement for this old engine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Urda

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

THe Greyhound engine 6.5 perfect fit read my post just above yours. only need metric tread bolts to mount engine same length as old bolts. Center bolt that holds pullet on 5/16 find thread same length as old bolt. If get Greyhound Engine manual give all tread sizes its in box. The reason I use this engine is torque high and price at time for new engine was 120.00 but print out coupon from Harbor Freight web site for 20.00 saving so engine used on farm there no sale tax at store.

• joeurda
    13 years ago

Gator rider2, Thanks for the tip. I did see your suggestion above, but was a bit leary about the Harbor Freight quality. After doing some furthere research, it appears that that engine is a good choice at an excellent price. We have a Harbor Freight in Syracuse and I will be heading up there to check them out.

I do have to pull the old engine first and I not looking forward to that. Hope that all goes well and that I am back in business in a day or two.

Thanks again for your information.

Joe

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

I just checked HF site 99.99 with coupon you down load off site take to store. I used 66015 part number of engine but others use 66014 its calif. model gas fumes from tank hosed to air cleaner only difference that no about. Its Honda knockoff so get your parts at dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Engine 66015

• bm_richard_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have an older horse.. I have not gotten around to cleaning all the grease and dirt off of it. But so far I have found th-1001 stamped on it.. The pulleys on this thing are super sloppy and the tines will turn until you let it down to the dirt, then they stop.. I have feeling the the bearings/ shaft are shot.. Any input would be great

• lilmonk3
    13 years ago

I have an older horse.. I have not gotten around to cleaning all the grease and dirt off of it. But so far I have found th-1001 stamped on it.. The pulleys on this thing are super sloppy and the tines will turn until you let it down to the dirt, then they stop.. I have feeling the the bearings/ shaft are shot.. Any input would be great

• lilmonk3
    13 years ago

Ok I found the serial # 137061.. From what I can gather, this is a 1975 Horse I.. The lower set of belt pulleys are very very sloppy.. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.. If so, was it the bearing on the pulley that were bad... I am a woman and I am a bit mech. inclined. But I dont have the proper tools to do what needs to be done. So I am taking this to the neighbor and he is going to try to help me get this thing tilling... Just looking for some insight on what problem we might be looking for ahead of time.. TIA

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Number is 1-800-609-5110 ask for bill he in Va. I think Bill owner of yahoo group he help with parts and problem the bottom pulley does move in and out to lineup with top pulley. Be good if take pins out holds engine on there 2 set screw one each pin then get at pulley see what going on pulley slides on splines on main shaft. Spray everthing moves with Pb Blaster but not belts mind have spray linkage 3 or more time year. If have 1975 year model there be 2 belts on pulleys. Bill send right belts parts need.

• joeurda
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I was informed that the model is actually a HH60. The recommendation to go with the Harbor Freight 6.5 HP engine was right on. Fit perfectly. Had to get metric mounting screws and then another trip to get the metric bolt that goes into the drive shaft to hold the pulleys. Advised to drive out the two large pins that hold the mounted engine to the tiller was easy and the swap out was pretty easy.
    Once everything was together, I put oil and gas in the engine and two pull it was running great. Just finished tilling an area of about 50 x 50 and the old tiller worked like a charm.
    Again, thanks for all the advice..
    Joe

• gator_rider2
    13 years ago

Joe that great and thank you for posting back it help other members that read these post.

• c_preddice_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i aquired an older try bilt/garden way tiller. the ser # is 160688. it has a clinton engine model 10D-98-0301-330 ser #10D-98-0301-330. I cant find a model # on the tiller....it starts and runs but when I put the tines in gear and try to till with it it dies out. Any thought? The carb it new, new plug, fresh gas....I'm at a loss.

• rick770
    12 years ago

I recently rebuilt a Troybilt Horse I tiller with a S/N#192326 and need an engine pulley. Every place I call they say it is not available anymore. The part number in my manual for the pulley is 1007-1. The pulley is a 2 belt pulley with a fiber reverse disk and fits on the 6 hp tecumseh 3/4' shaft. Any one know where I can get one? Any old troybuilt bone yards out there? Thanks

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

There up grade to reverse using rubber wheel Bill Rogers may have one 1-800-609-5110 sense mid 70's this been new reverse parts. Bill Rogers have best answer out there he owns yahootroybiltgroup Dot com you should join that group there where you find help.

• joshmarke_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Howdy folks. I have a TB tiller with some worn out tines and need to figure out which model it is. The Stamp on the front of the gear box says "Gardenway TH-1002." the only other number i can find is on the bottom of the handles "1019" (the "9" could be an 8).

Any ideas? Or where i need to scrub off grime to find more numbers?

Cheers.

• cnpwoods_comcast_net
    12 years ago

I bought an old troy built tiller and it says it is a econo horse and I cant find any info on it

thanks chuck

• gator_rider2
    12 years ago

chuck you should by filling in some info find your manual just by knowing your engine hp. This big site for manuals.

Here is a link that might be useful: manuals on line

• wbpaduano
    11 years ago

Hi I just bought a Troy Bilt Horse and I cant find any serial number on it is says gardenway T1019 on it and there is a spot where is says serial number but I dont see one there any Idea . there is a date stamp of 1978, thanks

• gator_rider2
    11 years ago

Transmission housing above right tire there flat place the serial under full paint grease and dirt wire brush that flat on transmission housing you begin to see number.

• mitch9230
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a 6 hp Tecumseh powered Troy Bilt Horse with serial number 320350. If you could please help me in finding out the model number that would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

• gstor_rider1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Your tiller build in early 1978 model number I. You need check yours to see if 4 speed in order get right belt they are kovlar belts want steche. The 4 speed used single belt 2 speed used 2 belts move belt over to other groove to give 4 speeds.

• riceculb
    8 years ago

I need some help identifying the make of my old tiller here are the numbers from the crank housing. 130202 0523 01 80082606. Can anyone tell me who made it and any other details.

• riceculb
    8 years ago

Here is update on the tiller im trying to identify.

Model#130202

Type 0523 01

Code 80082606

I see a partial name on the handle. It says Longlife ( this may help).

• gstor_rider1
    8 years ago

In 70's Troybilt used 5hp on Pony Tiller.

• riceculb
    8 years ago

Did they also call it a Longlife. The second question that i am rebulding the motor but the gas tanked is rusted out in the small fuel reservoir. Do you know where i can get a used tank or a good price on a new one?

• gstor_rider1
    8 years ago

I'm not following too well do you have troybilt tiller, all info giving on B&S 5hp engine. what calling housing fan shroud. The numbers on Troybilt tiller on transmission housing right side top cover by dust and rust. I try find tank in few minutes.

• riceculb
    8 years ago

Im not sure what kind make of tiller it is but the number on the housing fan is

• David Stembridge
    8 years ago

I have an 83 HORSE and the Tecumseh engine died. I picked up a predator engine, and it works great!

• merry55
    8 years ago

My 1975 horse, the tecumseh engine threw a rod and broke the piston and broke the cam shaft. Looked around on the web and can get parts to fix it for about $120 question, is it worth fixing or am I better off getting one of the engines recommended on this site from harbor freight

• gthfer
    8 years ago

I have a 1970s model Troybilt Horse. It has a 7hp Briggs&Stratton on it. I need a coil for it, but I can't find a serial # or a model # on it. Can anyone help. Thanks

• David Stembridge
    8 years ago

@gthfer your engine should have the model number etched into the block, visible, maybe under some grease/dirt... That wasn't the original engine was it?

• bdavidson1963
    7 years ago

I bought an older troy built 2 years ago. the only # I can find is P-73024, stamped above the trans. with a 5hp. briggs engine I need to find parts. It has 3 pulleys and a lever to change gears and a knob to engage the trans. It was built before saftey handles were required . Thanks for any help

B.Davidson

• gator_rider6
    7 years ago

Jan - 1981 P68034 This first s/n for 1981

Jul - 1981 P80423

Yours is 1981 Pony built in first half year.

• Kyle Farmer
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a 1980s model Troy Bilt Horse tiller with serial no. 485571. I purchased this new from Troy Bilt. I am trying to determine the model number. Can't find anything. The serial no. is on a large sticker (decal) on the tine cover. No model number however. Other stickers (decals) have long since pealed off. It may have been on one of those. I'm trying to find parts but every site requires the model number. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Kyle

• gator_rider6
    7 years ago

September 15, 1982, Last Horse II produced.

yours 1980 Aug month was made.

Try use model 2, as model are roman-numbers which II capital letters form eye. You have 4 speed horse one belt drive.

Engine could be 7 HP Kohler engine.

• roset734
    7 years ago

I have a Troy Bilt Pony tiller purchased in 1982 and I need a transmission drive pulley part number 20315. the part has 3 grooves in it for the transmission drive, forward and reverse belts. I have searched EVERYWHERE online as has the highly capable, local Troy Bilt repair shop. My only recourse it seems is to find someone with an old Troy Bilt Pony that wants to sell it for parts.

My question is "Is there anyone out there that wants to get rid of your old, circa 1982, Troy Bilt Pony tiller? Or, do you know someone that does?

Signed - "Desperate in Virginia"

• tomplum
    7 years ago

Not in the system anymore on the west coast either. Best of luck. I knew a "Desperate in Virginia" once, but she was a gold digger- not a ground digger....

• mikefrancisfordtown
    7 years ago

As for my Garden Way by Troy Bilt rear tine tiller the model number and serial number were stamped on the rear facing side of the value cover. Hope this helps! I liked to have never figured it out.

• HU-976079606
    5 years ago

I have a troy bilt pony that keeps eating the belts after about 30 minutes of use. Any ideas? It has a 5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor and a number s174401 stamped on the shaft in front of tines. Any help would be appreciated.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago

Check for proper alignment and belt tension . Also ensure pulley sheaves are smooth and clean and running true .

• Ed Snyder
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have a older but good troy tiller, ser no 673612,

did get it running well, put a honda motor on it and clean up. It ran with the roto tiller in forward for about 20 minutes then quit mover forward and reverses. no noise, no gears mashing, just quit moving forward. Ed

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ed , I would suggest a drive train shear pin or pto clutch failure . Check the MTD site for exploded view mechanical schematics or parts list . Ph # 1-800 828-5500 .

• PRO
    Old Frogpond Farm
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Looking for fuel pump on a Koehler troybilt horse tiller 1990 -91 Model M8T

blaseofire@gmail.com

• HU-676459054
    2 years ago

Good Evening

I too have an older TB rototiller I can find no model # but on a flange above the right axel is Serial #210322 and embossed on the machine is TH-1003-2. Any idea what year it is?

Jim in New Mexico

• HU-963290986
    last year

Bought a troy-bilt rear tine tiller model 12210 , serial number 122101307825 what year is it having trouble getting a heel off can't find roll pin right side have the other wheel off already thank you Ted Brinker

• HU-875163737
    last year

Have troy built pony from 78 to 81 era. The motor been replace by Honda ge 160. The transmission pulley is sloppy the bolt is tight. You can move it around by hand. What is missing? A key , bearing? Serial number 118349 stamp on transmission frame. Other numbers 20512CT. 8F2 24/82. Tring to find Manuel and parts list.